31| Perfectly Understanding

~Don't tell people your plans, show them your results~

Tobias' PoV
"So where's my mom?" I froze as that question left her mouth. I cleared my throat.

"She's dead," I said, not wanting to keep the truth from her. Maybe I could've said it in a nicer way but it's too late for that now. I watched as her face scrunched up in confusion.

"What," she breathed out. I watched as the beeping from heart rate monitor sped up drastically. "My mom. She can't be- He took her from me?"

"Eva," I said calmly as her breathing got worse. Her hand rested on her chest as she struggled for air. "Eva. Calm down. Breathe."

She didn't stop.

"Count to ten," I demanded. She wasn't listening. I gripped her face in my hand causing her to look at me. "Count to ten."

I let go of her face. "O-One," she stuttered.

"Keep going."

"T-Two," she said after a few seconds before following that with a three. We eventually made it to the number ten.

That reminded me of the first time we all met when she had a panic attack. I managed to calm her down then and I managed to do it now.

I listened as the beeping from the heart monitor fell back into its normal rhythm. I watched her for a few moments, suddenly remembering the promise I made to myself and to her when she was unconscious.

'I'm gonna tell her that I want her and only her.'

I'm not gonna do it. I'm gonna break that promise. I may want her but that doesn't mean I should do it.

"Your mom is in the morgue. You can choose to bury her whenever. All arrangements have already been made. Just pick a day."

"My mom is in the morgue," she repeated with teary eyes. "I never thought I'd ever hear that anytime soon." I watched her as a few tears rolled down her face.

I stayed silent, perfectly understanding how she was feeling. "The pain gets better," I told her curtly before I turned and left the room.

I couldn't stand to stay in there any longer. It was getting too deathly for me and I've had enough death in my life to last me a lifetime.

"Aidan," I spoke through the phone. "Get Elias and head to the infirmary. She's awake." With that, I cut the call and felt slightly relaxed knowing full well that she won't be alone.

I left the base and got in my car before I drove to my home.

I paced back and forth in my room, my towel hanging low on my waist and the water droplets from my hair falling. I quickly grabbed my phone and called Enzo. "Brother," I spoke calmly.

"Tobias?," he said unsure if it really was me.

"It's been a while."

"Maybe because you sent me to Italy."

"Get everything ready," I suddenly said. "I'll be coming soon." He didn't say another word as I cut the call.