30| My Mom

~People of patience have beautiful endings~

Evangeline's PoV
I laid staring at the ceiling watching the bright light above me flicker every once in a while. What must've been minutes felt like hours. I was alone and have been since I woke up.

I tried sleeping but the ache in my stomach wouldn't allow me to. Neither was the worry in my mind for my mothers welfare allowing me to sleep.

The constant beeping noise was the only thing telling me that this is a reality and not a dream. Well, less of a dream and more like a nightmare.

Suddenly, I could hear footsteps nearing my room. A doctor walked in, humming a random song as he checked his clipboard. He glanced down at me and then at the heart monitor before he did a double take and looked at my open eyes.

"Miss Kingston!," he exclaimed. "Nice to have you back at the land of the living." I couldn't say a word. He shone a light into my eyes before checking a bunch of other stuff. "Good," he mumbled a couple of times.

He went to the table and filled a cup with water before bringing the cup to my lips. I gulped it down as if I hadn't ever drank in a long time. Well, technically it has been a long time.

He set the cup down in front of me. I managed to open my mouth and slide my tongue across my cracked lips. "Thanks," I rasped out.

"No problem. So do you remember what happened?," he asked.

"Yeah," I whispered. "Why can't I move my body?" He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion before looking at my chart. He shouted for a nurse and gave a few orders before she returned a few moments later with a tray. The doctor picked up the needle from the tray and inserted it into the IV.

"That should kick in soon and you'll feel much better," he told me. "You've been here for four months."

"M-My mom?" He paused for a moment.

"I'll leave that for Tobias," he said. "Now, the stab wound is in your stomach. We got the knife out and it didn't hit anything important so you're very lucky."

"Where is he?"

"I've got no idea." With that, he left the room.

Moving my head side to side and lifting my arms were much easier to do thanks to whatever it was he gave me.

Four whole months.

That's crazy.

I closed my eyes and began drifting off to sleep.

"Hush little baby don't say a word," my mom sang to me, whimpering slightly as she wiped her tears away.

"M-Mom?," I said confused.

"It's okay, honey. Mom just wants you to go to sleep right now."

Something was wrong.

My father banging on the door wasn't the issue here. Something just felt wrong.

My mom cradled me in her arms as a sharp pain hit my belly. I looked down at my 7-year-old body dressed in some old clothes my mom sewed together to see blood seeping through the fabric.

This is what felt wrong.

"M-Mo-," I began to stutter out before she shushed me, making me suffer in silence.

I looked up at my moms face, trying to remember every single detail before the stabbing pain hit me again. I looked down again only to see the handle of a knife sticking out of me.

I let out a gasp as I awoke. The heart monitor was beeping like crazy causing the doctor to come running in. "Bad dream," i gasped out as I attempted to catch my breath. He nodded his head and did a couple of checks before deciding to check my wound.

That nightmare never even happened in real life. What the hell was that?

He lifted up the gown only to see the bandage covered with blood. "I'll just get this wrapped for you," he mumbled before pulling the gown down and rushing off to get the supplies.

I waited for a few moments before someone walked in. "You're awake," Tobias stated as he stood frozen in the doorway.

"No, I'm dead," I told him, keeping a straight face.

"Great, I made it to hell," he said sarcastically making me let out a small chuckle.

"When did you wake up?," he asked.

"Couple of hours ago," I shrugged. "Had a bunch of fun talking to these four walls."

"I bet you did." He paused for a moment. "Has the doctor come in and checked on you?" I nodded my head.

Before I could say another word, the doctor came rushing back in with a tray of all the supplies needed. He paused for a moment and stared at Tobias before going back to rushing around.

"I'm just about to change her bandage, so if you don't mind...," the doctor trailed off. Just as he got up to go, I grabbed his hand.

"Stay," I said.

"Are you sure?," the doctor asked me. I nodded my head.

"Stay."

Tobias didn't say another word as he sat down on the chair next to my bed. The doctor lifted up the gown and slowly pulled off the previous bloody bandage.

"Is it meant to be that bloody?," Tobias asked.

"No," he replied. "She had a bad dream and her movement caused it to bleed."

I let out a hiss as the cold bitter air nipped at the exposed flesh. My grip on Tobias' hand tightened as the doctor began to clean around the wound. A few minutes later, he was done and had placed a new bandage on it.

"So, where's my mom?"