11| Truth

~Dear self, I promise to love you forever and always~

Evangelines PoV
"I'm telling you I can't remember anything!," I exclaimed for the fourth time as they all kept grilling me.

Can I not catch a break? I mean, I literally just woke up from a coma.

"Are you not even gonna ask about him?," Nicholas snapped at me. For some reason, Eros, Tobias and Nicholas are filled with anger and I'm pretty sure it's directed at me.

"I would've if you had given me the chance," I snapped shocking myself and them. I've never spoken back to anyone and this shocked me.

"Fuck, it's like she had a whole personality transplant while she died more than once," Eros commented confused.

"She finally grew a fucking backbone," Tobias scoffed out.

"It might be tiny but it's there," Nicholas chimed in.

"Where is Enzo then?," I asked, changing the subject.

"Away from here," Tobias answered. "From now on, you don't have Enzo to go running to if you have a problem, you'll come to me." I stared at him shocked, I definitely won't have any problems then.

"He's been sent back to Italy," Aidan clarified before we all fell silent for a few moments. The beeping of the machines beside me were the only noises in the room.

Tobias was pacing back and forth in front of my bed as I kept my eyes down on the needles I had in my arm. That'll hurt coming out.

"You know what?," Tobias suddenly said turning to the other boys. "We're gonna tell her now."

"What?"

"No. You can't be serious."

"It makes sense. She can't run."

"She'll freak."

They all spoke at once making the peacefulness evaporate. I sighed out staring at the ceiling wondering what they want to tell me.

"Look here," Tobias demanded tapping my leg, noticing my attention was elsewhere. "We know you've just woken from a coma but there's no better time to tell you this." I nodded my head, urging him to continue. "You know what a mafia is, right?" I nodded my head.

My mom used to tell me stories about them and we used read books about it.

"We're that." Suddenly, my heart felt like it was going to burst but it wasn't going to burst out of happiness. It was fear. My mom always told me they were dangerous. She used to tell me horror stories about them, about how they would kill people and deliver the dead bodies to their families all disfigured. She told me all about how they launder money through the many businesses they own.

"Y-You're a mafia?"

He nodded his head. "And your father was in debt to me."

"So you're the leader?"

He nodded his head. "We're only telling you this because you're gonna be apart of it for the rest of your life. Once you get this close to us, there's no way you can ever distance yourself from our world again."

"I-I didn't choose to get this close to you," I tried to argue. "It's not my fault. You can't sentence me to a life here."

"Evangeline, I'm not negotiating your freedom. You were given to me and that's it. You're apart of this world I own now and there's no way out."

I should've ran away when I had the chance.

Quietly, one by one, they left, closing the door behind them and giving me the much needed space I needed. I'm stuck here. I can't leave because my body needs to heal. I need to heal from the old wounds and the new internal ones.

I guess I'm stuck here forever.

I rested my forearm on my forehead attempting to hide my face as tears slowly slid down my face. I held in the sobs as I cried the only way I knew how.

I'm stuck here and there's nothing I can do. It's all my father fault.

-

Tobias's PoV
"She's gonna hate us," Aidan spoke.

"She'll run away," Nicholas betted.

"She won't," Eros spoke. "I bet she'll just stick with it. She has nothing else. If she runs, where would she go?"

"Hide out somewhere," Elias shrugged, uncaring.

"She's not street-smart yet," Theodore got involved. "She won't survive out there and she knows. She'll stay."

"Why did you have to tell her now?," Aidan suddenly asked me.

"She needed to know. I can't have her living under my roof, not knowing."

"When are we gonna tell her what's gonna to happen to her?," Elias enquired.

"Closer to the time," I spoke impassively, not liking the feeling of being interrogated.

"Hey!," Eros suddenly exclaimed, remembering something. "Why can't she come to any of us for problems? Why is it only you?"

"What she did to Enzo, she'll do the same to you. I don't think you wanna go to Italy, do you?," I spoke firmly, letting him know that I've done it to Enzo and I won't hesitate to do it to the rest.

He shook his head. "I do not wanna go back there," he mumbled.

"They got close," Theodore shrugged. "It happens."

"But not with business deals," I deadpanned, leaving no room for a discussion. "She is not our friend. She is not family. She means nothing to us. She is just a business deal."

They all nodded their heads but I knew that wouldn't stop Aidan from being nice and himself around her. He's just a social butterfly and that really makes me want to punch his naive face.

"I won't lose the thousands of dollars I'll be getting because one of you dumbasses fell in love with her," I forewarned. "She'll stay with us until she gets better, gets smarter and knows another world other than the one she lived exists. We need to make sure she'll survive life out there because-."

"You don't want to lose the thousands of dollars you'll be getting," Eros spoke in a high pitched tone, mocking me.

I stepped forward, frowning at the lack of respect as I rolled up my sleeves, leaving my arms covered in tattoos on display. I cracked my knuckles before rolling my neck.

"I'm sorry!," Eros exclaimed as he backed away with two hands in front of him. "I won't do it again. I won't do it again!"

I gave him a satisfied smile before I backed away from him. I looked at the others. "Don't act like this fucking dumbass."

"I won't," they all mumbled.

"I'll go check on her," I informed them all before I left.

She better still be there.