16| Breakdown

~Souls don't meet by accident~

Evangeline's PoV
"Just tell me the truth, Tobias!," I exclaimed for the fifth time. "I am sick of being lied to." I turned to face the window, knowing full well he wouldn't say a word.

I have changed emotionally and mentally and I've only just realised. I was so afraid to speak up before but now look at me, locking him in my room and demanding an answer. The old me, before I died multiple times, wouldn't have even dared to do what I'm doing now. I think it's the fact that I've been given another chance at life and I've realised that I can't spend it being afraid which is why I've taken up training.

But I doubt he'll train me now.

I still have no idea how I got the guts to do this.

"Tobias please. I just want an answer."

He let out a sigh. "If I tell you, you won't be able to stay here anymore," he told me firmly making me contemplate my decision. "You'll be put in the many rooms in the base but I guarantee they aren't as good as what you've got here."

"I'd rather you tell me."

"I'd rather you thought about this properly," he spoke sharply as he walked towards me. "Once I tell you, we can't go back."

I took a deep breath. "I need to know." By now, he was stood directly in front of me, leaving barely any space between the two of us.

He opened his mouth to speak before closing it again. It was a rare sight to see him speechless, normally he knows what to say and when to say it. "I'll tell you this," he began. "You're safe with me right now and I can easily stop what'll happen to you but once I put you in a room in the base, there's no going back."

I paused for a moment, feeling his warm breath hit my face. "You can stop it?"

He bit his lip and looked away from me for a moment before holding my eye contact. "I will but that's only if you don't force me to tell you."

"Don't lie," I accused him.

"Listen, the whole reason why you are here is because of your father," he spoke out harshly, not taking the accusation lightly. My body froze at the mention of my father. "If you want to blame anyone, blame him. He knew exactly what would happen to you once he exchanged you and he still did it."

My eyes began watering up. I looked up to the ceiling and blinked them away before looking back at Tobias. "I do blame him. I blame him for a lot of things. Maybe, whatever your plan for me is is better than the life I lived with him. Maybe he thought it would be better for me here than back home," I spoke. What I said was a bit of a stretch and kinda hard to believe. My father never cared about me.

"Evangeline, you're not hearing me," he spoke, pleading with me to drop it. "What will happen to you if you don't drop this will be much much worse than your life now and your past."

I let out a sigh and turned away from him once again, needing to think this over.

Tobias' PoV
I let out a sigh as I ran my hand through my hair. I watched as she stared out of the window, thinking everything through.

I have no idea why I suddenly decided to keep her safe. I practically promised her and I can't break a fucking promise. I have no idea why I'm so against the idea of telling her now about what'll happen to her. If I tell her now, she'll be taken there in a few days time. She'll be away from me and I'll be worry free.

I can't do that to her. I have this stupid feeling in my chest and it makes me feel like I'll regret it. I don't get this feeling much. Well, I've rarely ever gotten it. But when it does come, I know I have to listen to it.

This is why you shouldn't ever get involved in a business deal with feelings. It'll fuck you up. I don't have feeling for her but for some strange reason, I feel slightly protective over her.

"You'll be fine," I told her. "Nothing will happen to you."

"Was what you were planning on doing to me that bad that Enzo had even tried to hide me?," she asked, still staring out of the window.

I clenched my jaw for a moment, slightly regretting sending him back to Italy. "I can't answer that. Enzo felt protective over you." I really shouldn't have sent him over there.

"Bring him back, please," she asked me, her voice breaking slightly. "I want my friend back."

"I can't," I told her. "He'll be back when he's back."

She took a deep breath. "So you're not going to kill me?" I shook my head, no. "I still don't understand what else you could've had planned for me."

"I didn't plan it," I began to tell her. "There's people that your father promised you to and they think he's broken his promise because they've not received you yet so they're after you which is why I can't let you be taken to the base."

"I stayed there for a while remember," she suddenly snapped, turning to face me.

"That was the hospital. No one goes near the hospital unless they really need to."

"Oh my god," she suddenly sighed out but I could tell she was beginning to panic. This is really giving me a feeling of deja vu. "I-I-I."

I suddenly realised this is like the first day she met all of us. She had a panic attack and for some reason I was the one who helped her. I guess I was feeling nice that day.

"Calm down," I demanded her calmly as I strolled towards her, moving from my comfortable spot on her bed. She held her neck as of trying to help herself get more air into her lungs. "Evangeline, I need to listen to me." She still stared at the ground and held her neck with one hand waving around frantically. Firmly, I grabbed both of her upper arms and forced her to stop moving.

"Deep breaths, Evangeline," I told her firmly. "In and out." She did as I said once. "Again," I demanded. She obeyed and did it once more. By now, her breathing had returned to normal.

I think she's having a breakdown.

"Evangeline, you have me and my brothers and the other two," I told her, regretting how I told all the others to stay away from her. That was the opposite of what she needed.

"Really?" I nodded my head, feeling awkward as I slowly let go of her arms and backed away from her. Without me asking her to, she pulled the key out of her bra and put it in the keyhole and turned it. The familiar click of the lock made a small smile grow on my face.

"Follow me," I ordered, not liking the idea of leaving her alone after what just happened. Wordlessly, she followed behind me.

We've lost her trust and we'll have to gain it again; I'm not even sure we had her trust in the first place though. But after today, she definitely does not trust us.