48| Degraded

~Love is a sickening lie~

Evangeline's PoV
I watched with wide eyes as everyone fell silent. "Didn't think you'd fuck me over like this, Moretti," a man's voice sounded out through the quiet room. If someone dropped a pin, everyone would be able to hear it, that's how quiet it was. I watched as Tobias' back tensed.

I don't like this one bit.

I didn't dare to turn around and face the man and neither did Tobias. I watched as his back muscles flexed for a moment before he turned. His eyes landed on mine before he glared at the man behind me.

I didn't dare to breath or look away from Tobias' face. His jaw was continuously clenching and unclenching as he tried to control his anger. "You're not going to say anything?," the man asked him, almost daring him to open his mouth. I watched from the corner of my eye as Theo, Nicholas, Eros, Enzo, Aidan and Elias stood watching carefully.

Why aren't they doing anything?

The man planted his hand on my waist, making me feel sick. Tobias' gaze hardened but he didn't make a move. "I wanted her," Tobias suddenly said, the glare on his face vanished and was masked by the emotionless expression that I had broken down. For some reason, upon seeing that I felt as though I had received a blow to my chest as I took a couple of deep breaths.

He suddenly reminded me of who he was when I had first arrived at his home.

Cold. Heartless. Uncaring.

"So you stole her?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Why not? She wasn't exactly," he paused for a moment as he tried to find the right words, "against the idea."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I tried to read his expression. I wanted to know what he was thinking. He avoided my gaze like the plague and stared at the man's face behind me.

"If only you had given her to me when she first arrived," the man sighed out. "I could've trained her up. She would've been perfect."

It suddenly clicked in my head. This man runs the whole taking people and putting them to work thing. But the one question that lingered in my mind was what was I meant to be trained up for?

"Who says you can't still take her and train her up?," the young boy, that Tobias was squaring up to, spoke up.

"She's mine," I heard Tobias say gruffly.

"Who said?," the boy spoke up. "I'll assume she's not branded, neither is she married and that means she's everyone's."

Branded?

They're sick. They're sick in the head.

Psychopaths. Sociopaths. Whatever other freaking 'paths there is, they're that.

"She's mine," Tobias repeated with a lot more force than last time. "I've broke her down and got into her fucking head so I'll say she fucking belongs to me."

I watched this whole interaction in horror. The man's grip on my waist tightened causing me to glance in his direction. He seemed to be in his 50s but for an old man he wasn't very wrinkly or anything.