32| Completely Alone

~Friendship and love in one person~

Evangeline's PoV
I sat on the edge of the hospital bed, throwing my legs over the edge. I took a deep breath before I planted both feet on the floor. Tobias was by my side in a flash in case I fell.

Todays the day I'm burying my mother. It's also the day I'm getting discharged.

It's been a week since I found out about my mothers death and I've cried a lot. I've realised that crying is doing nothing for me. Burying her will do something. It'll give me closure apparently.

"I can walk," I snapped at him, feeling terrified for what's to come.

"You're saying that like I was helping you to walk," he said. "I was just making sure to catch you in case you fell." I didn't say a word after that and neither did he.

"Sit down," he demanded me as he pushed the wheelchair towards me. I didn't even look at it. A very kind nurse helped me get dressed into this black dress.

I turned to face Tobias. His brown eyes stared back at me. "I'll use my perfectly good legs."

"And what if you fall?"

"You'll catch me."

"I won't," he said promisingly but I knew he'd catch me. I slowly left the room and walked down the hallway with Tobias trialing behind me.

"Exit?," I asked slightly out of breath already. I glanced back to see him pointing straight ahead. I took two more steps before I paused. "I just need a five minute break," i breathed out.

He didn't say another word as he suddenly picked me up bridal style, being careful of my wound. "You were too slow." I didn't even try to argue with him knowing full well that I would've taken a very long time to get down that hallway.

I rested my head against his chest, listening to his heartbeat and for some reason that comforted me. Since I woke up, Tobias seems different. It's almost as if he's more open. It's like he's had a personality transplant. The day after he told me of my mothers death, he returned and spent the whole day sat in the comfortable chair even though we never spoke.

Before I knew it, he placed me in the black car. I was in the front passenger seat and Tobias had closed the door and gone to the drivers side. "Seatbelt," he told me.

"You don't have yours on," I said. He stared at me with an amused look on his face before he leaned over, grabbed my seatbelt and clicked it into place.

Just as he began to drive I spoke, "Tobias, put your seatbelt on. I don't want you to die." He didn't say anything as he grabbed it and clicked it into place. We sat silently for a few minutes as I stared out of the window at the scenery.

Only now it has truly hit me that I was going to say my final goodbye to my mother. My hand that my head was resting on began to shake causing me to place it on my lap. Tobias had noticed somehow and grabbed my shaking hand, giving it a little squeeze.

Thirty minutes later, we arrived at the graveyard. I sat in the car for a moment, not daring to move. Tobias' hand was still holding mine even through all the gear changes his hand never left mine. "I don't think I can," I suddenly said.

"You can," he told me. "You're strong."

"I'm not," I scoffed out. "If I was I would've saved my mom."

"You couldn't have." We sat silently for a little while longer before Tobias finally let go of my hand and got out the car before walking over to my side and unbuckling my seatbelt.

He helped me out of the car. We both walked to where everyone else was gathered. This wasn't a formal thing. We were just going to put my mother in the ground. We weren't having no speeches and no service.

"C-Can I hold your hand?," I asked gingerly, desperately wanting the support. He didn't say a word as he held my hand in his as we approached everyone else.

All the boys were dressed in black suits including Tobias. A few were looking at our linked hands in confusion but I couldn't care less. I walked towards the coffin that was ready to be lowered. I squeezed Tobias' hand.

"M-Mom," I sobbed out as it truly hit me. My mothers not coming back. She's actually really not coming back. "I-I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I-It's all my fault. Mom, I need you. What am I going to do without you? I've got nobody."

Everyone stood silent as I tried to say my goodbye. My free hand reached out and rested on the coffin as I knelt on the ground. I leant against Tobias' arm as both our hands were still linked.

"All I've got is our memories. Even though dad made life hell, you still managed to brighten it up. You still managed to make happy memories with me. Like us singing that lullaby all the time. You braiding my hair. Me annoying you. Us playing games. You always protected me even if it meant putting yourself in the firing line and for that I'm forever grateful to you, mom," I sniffled, pausing slightly.

"I'm gonna go on in life and if I ever have children of my own one day, I'll tell them stories of you. I'll tell them stories of how you were more than just a mom to me, you were my very own superhero, my best friend. I'm so sorry I couldn't be your superhero just this once."

I took a deep shaky breath.

"I love you, mom. Goodbye for now."

I stayed sitting on the ground as they lowered my mom into the ground. I watched as she went lower and lower. I leaned over, peering down before Tobias pulled me back. "She's gone," I cried out hysterically. "She's gone!"

He didn't say a word as he knelt on the ground beside me, pulling me into a hug. "I've got no one Tobias! She's left me!," I bawled as more tears fell. His arms wrapped around me and held me to him tightly as my body shook with each cry that came out. The others stayed silent as they saw this unfold in front of them. They began to bury her.

Once my mom was finally buried, I stared at it. "I'm completely alone," I whispered, still in his arms.