Chapter 55: Leo is shining in the forest. (3/3)

"I'm sorry, Leonora... it's all my fault...." – Said Bianca, in an apologetic tone; her beautiful face was dirty with a mix of mud and tears.

She didn't know how many times she had repeated those exact same words, or for how long they've been wandering inside this dark forest, but the answer to her apology was always the same.

"It's okay, Neh-sama. I'm not angry, so you don't, have to, apologize...."

The little girl's left sleeve was torn off from the elbow down, however, she was the one who did that. She used that piece of cloth as bandage to treat Bianca's injured hand*.

Because of the princess' interference, the teleportation spell threw them far away from the lake. And to make things worse, they didn't even know where they were. So Bianca tried to contact the spirits again... but the spirits weren't answering her.

Bianca wasn't that much of a sheltered lady. She also liked plants and vegetation. But being thrown deep inside a dark forest, without knowing where to go, was too much for her... so she started to panic.

There were insects crawling everywhere and, sometimes, she could also hear some animal sounds in the distance. This place was scary. Her usual confident attitude was nowhere to be seen. Bianca could only hold Leonora's hand, in a pitiful display of cowardice, and hope that nothing bad happened to them.

Contrary to her though, Leonora was quite calm. The little girl was glancing around as if she was searching for something, but after landing her gaze on a nearby tree, she simply nodded and said–

"–Thanks...... it seems like, we're near, the lake, Neh-sama. The tree spirits, said that, we have to, head east, to reach, our destination."

"Wha-!? No way, the spirits were speaking with you!?" – Said Bianca, in surprised tone.

"Huh? Y-yes... why?"

Only powerful priests had the ability to hear the spirits, but for some reason, Bianca was able to hear them earlier. She didn't think much of it at the time, since she was trying to protect her little sister, however, after witnessing Leonora speaking with a nearby tree, Bianca finally understood why she was able to hear them.

"I... see.... I sometimes forget that you're a Child Loved by the Spirits...."

(So I was only able to hear them because she was near me, huh...?)

For a moment, Bianca thought she'd finally be able to help Leonora with something... but that wasn't her ability. After realizing that, the princess couldn't help but feel dejected.

However, she couldn't be more wrong.

Leo could only hear the spirits because he was touching Bianca. The little princess wasn't even aware that, contrary to her brother, she had enough spirit power to be considered a Child Loved by the Spirits. The reason why she couldn't hear them, was because she wasn't on her right state of mind right now.

(Khh...! If only I hadn't lost my concentration during that spirit summoning class*, then maybe I would be able to help her a bit more...!) – Thought Bianca, as she squeezed her free hand's fist in frustration.

At the time, Bianca tried to contract a spirit of light, but because of Leonora's beautiful prayer, she–no, everyone lost their concentration. If she hadn't stopped her own prayer halfway through, then maybe a spirit would've appeared for her.

However, without knowing that he was the source of Bianca's worries, Leo stared deeply into her eyes and said–

"–You're wrong, Neh-sama. I'm sure, you're the, Child Loved, by the Spirits. You can also, hear them, you just, have to, calm down, and listen...."