Chapter 96: Leo tries to escape from the predicament.

Being alive is the same as making a living.

Making a living is, in other words, remaining alive.

Leo had always embraced this strong belief in his heart, and with it, he had dedicated his life to making money by any means possible.

Gathering information.

Understanding the true needs of his counterpart.

Offering subtle benefits.

Pursuing mutual gains.

If you get to the core of these, they lead you to the secrets of dealing with people and the essence of living. In other words, the secrets of survival.

Leo now found himself surrounded by coarse, rugged men, desperately trying to navigate through the predicament by making full use of his hard-earned money-making skills.

With no magic to rely on, no one to call for help, and no exceptional combat skills to boast, he had to depend solely on those skills to survive.

This was a live sales pitch, with his life on the line.

If he could convince them that they might gain more from his alternate proposal than the current one, Leo would emerge victorious.

(The legendary Leo, who had once persuaded the thrifty housewives of the downtown to buy thousands of high-end kitchen knives, doesn't know the meaning of the word 'impossible.')

Leo steeled himself with this strange form of self-encouragement and faced the men directly, sporting a calm, confident smile.

First, he started with the basic rule of business: a gentle smile.

Then, he focused on gathering information and assessing his target.

"Good evening, gentlemen. Or is it a good morning? Good afternoon?"

The men were startled when a young girl rose from the altar and spoke to them politely.

Given the strange room, the chains binding her, and the imposing men surrounding her, the situation was undoubtedly ominous. Normally, a girl her age would burst into tears in fear. Yet, she faced them with a serene smile.

"Who are you?" one of the men muttered warily.

Leo instantly targeted him, noting his leading position, size, and demeanor. He was undoubtedly the leader of the group.

"Please, don't raise your voice. I'm not here to plead for my life or cause a commotion. I just want to have a conversation. I won't resist—look at me, I'm in this state."

Following the basic principles of a sales pitch, Leo aimed to gather information about their intentions and profiles.

"Are you hired by Mr. Alir Ad? What do you plan to do with me?"

"You'd best not ask questions. The outcome won't change, so there's no need to fret about it ahead of time."

Hearing the stern response, Leo felt a mix of relief and urgency.

It was fortunate that the man wasn't the type to speak at length, savoring the pain he might inflict. But it was also a problem if he was efficient and determined to follow orders.

(He isn't grinning or taunting. He's not particularly enthusiastic either. He's a serious type who completes assignments once the payment has been accepted.)

Quickly sizing up the situation, Leo decided to shift the conversation's pace.

"Are you going to do something frightening? A group of five adults, all targeting a child?"