Chapter 82: Leo Undergoes a hot test (2/2)

"Whoa!" Leo exclaimed as he instinctively reached out his hand, but he ended up hugging the trash heap in the splendid shrine maiden attire.

It was a moment where he deeply appreciated wearing secondhand clothes.

"How's it feel to be covered in garbage?" the boy asked excitedly, rambling on with great enthusiasm.

(Oh? Leo, who had experience working part-time picking up trash—even Weitz's trash, which was several times smellier—couldn't resist and, rather, his eyes sparkled as he examined its contents.

(Yeah, this is definitely mandarin skin! Oh, so this is how they use it! Rubbing the surface a bit to enhance the scent? I see, if you rub it while eating, it's not much of a hassle. Wow, I'll take this as a sample.)

"How's it feel to understand a little of how we feel being looked down upon along with the garbage?"

(The carving is probably to make it easier to mix... Ah, maybe they also rub the surface to enhance the scent? I see, it's not much trouble if you rub it while eating. Wow, this is an excellent sample to take home.)

"Huh, you're not saying anything!"

(Using mandarin skin after you are done eating the fruit to make a powerful deodorizer without spending money... I feel the elegance and wisdom of Eland! Damn, Eland's downtown quality!)

Ignoring the boy's remarks entirely, Leo's eyes brimmed with excitement.

Indeed, it was good to be here.

Many discoveries awaited in this downtown area that he wouldn't have encountered if he had stayed holed up near the cathedral.

(Thank you, boy!)

As Leo was about to express his gratitude to the boy who gave him this opportunity, he raised his head suddenly while still crouching amidst the trash pile.

"What are you doing?!"

"Lord Leonora!"

The familiar voices of Weitz's guards reverberated in his eardrums.

Gustav and Kai, who had finally caught up after seeing the girl's predicament, approached. Gustav quickly grabbed the boy's arm to restrain him, while Kai knelt beside Leo and diligently wiped his hands with a handkerchief he had taken out.

"Lady Leonora...! How troublesome..."

So saying, he glared fiercely at the boy.

In his almond-shaped eyes, the impatience and frustration he had accumulated until now manifested as flames.

"Do you even realize what you've done?!"

His voice trembled with anger.

He couldn't help but feel the urge to shout at the spirits in disrespect, wondering why only his innocent master seemed to bear so much misfortune.

A good master who, despite being mistreated, never lost her pure heart. The trials the spirits bestowed upon him were always excessively harsh.

Stealing his mother, stealing her safe childhood.

Just when he thought he had finally gained the protection of the Duke and Duchess and the love of the Prince, now he faced new difficulties befitting her status.

Believing this to be a trial to gain blessings, she endured scorching under foreign suns and was exposed to raw malice in lowly lands, how lonely it must have been.

Gasping in the heat and desperately crying out for "Mother!" like a lifeline, only to be thrown into a filthy pile of garbage.

Kai, looking at the girl crouched amidst the garbage pile with tears in her eyes and trembling, felt a blinding anger.