How We Met

Y/N'S POV
Me, Haru, my mom and my little brother, Kenji, sit together to eat. Haru had been wearing his mask but took it off when we were upstairs. Kenji kept staring at Haru's scars so I lightly nudged him and whispered that it was rude. He quickly apologised but Haru said it was fine since he was used to people staring at them.

I adore Kenji now but it wasn't always like that. When he born, 12 years ago, I was such a brat and refused to accept I had to share my mother with him. I was so annoyed that I actually ran away and that's how I met Haru.

I hate it here! Why do I have to have a stupid brother! I slipped out of the house and ran to the playground. My master plan was that my mom would miss me so much she would give me more attention when I eventually went back.

I sat down on the bench and waited alone all day. I was getting tired so I decided to lie down but not sleep so that I could keep an eye out for my mom. Of course I did end up falling asleep.

HARU'S POV
My big brother, Takeomi, was yelling at me for being a bad influence on Senju, I was fed up of his yelling and decided to go outside. Senju approached me.

"Haru-nii can I come too?"

I was mad at Takeomi for yelling at me and at Senju too as she's the reason why I get yelled at but I can never stay mad at her. I give in with a sigh.

"Fine, but don't wander off!"

"I won't!"

We arrived at the playground and Senju ran off to play with some other kids at the slides but I noticed something else. A girl, around my age, sleeping on a bench. I was wondering who would be dumb enough to sleep on a bench but then i thought that she might be less fortunate and felt bad so I guarded her while she slept. I took my coat off and put it on her like a blanket then sat in front of her on the floor.

She woke up after a few minutes.

Y/N'S POV
I woke up and looked around for my mom and realised she wasn't there so I started crying.

"MOM! I WANT MY MOM!"

I didn't notice a boy in front of me.

"Hey~ it's okay~ I can help you find your mom~" he sits next to me and pats my back.

"I don't wanna share my mom!"

"Hmm?"

"I have a baby brother and I hate that he's taking my mom from me!"

"Oh I see, that's what this is about. You know you're mom's probably really worried about you."

"But she isn't spending much time with me!"

"Is it just your mom at home?"

I nod in response.

"Then she's probably really busy. Babies are a lot work to take care of on your own. You feel sad that she's not with you but she probably feels guilty as well."

I sit in silence taking in his words. He's right, whenever I see mom, Kenji's crying and she looks really stressed. She even has eye bags now. I feel so selfish.

"Do you want to go back now?"

I nod and he offers to go with me.

"Senju! Stay there, I'll be right back!"

"Okay!" She waves, still with her friends.

"You have a sister?"

"Yeah, I felt the same jealousy to her when I was younger but after realising how stressed grandma must've been i started helping out."

I think to myself and come to a decision.

"I'll help my mom with Kenji!"

"I'm sure she'll appreciate it!" He says with a grin.

From that day I did all I could to help mom with Kenji and now I love my little brother to bits! Sure he can be annoying but he's still my brother at the end of the day.

"How did you get those scars? They look cool~"

"Kenji! That's a personal question!" My mom scolds him.

Haru laughs and tells him he was attacked by a bear. Kenji isn't scared easily and just finds it cool. Me and my mom finish dinner in silence while Haru and Kenji carry on their conversation.

"Right I better be going, y/n can I talk to you for a minute. Outside."

"Oh sure!"

I put both our plates away and step outside with him.

"So about the drinking."

I forgot that we were going to talk about that.

"You're still young, alcohol can be really damaging."

"I know. I won't do it again it was just a one-off thing since I felt pressured to go by my friends."

"Not wanting to go should be a good enough reason for them. If they can't understand that then you need new friends."

"I miss my old friends, I miss you Haru."

"I miss you too but your safety is more important."

"No it's not! The man from before could've hurt me but you saved me! And I can't live like this Haru! I miss you so much it hurts!" I yell at him passionately while tears keep streaming down my face. He puts his hand to my face.

"Y/n... you're making this harder than it already is." I lean my head on his chest.

"Haru, don't leave leave me alone again..."

Haru hugs me and strokes my back in a comforting way.

"If you promise not to get involved in toman or any other gang activities then maybe we can see each other." He shyly suggests. I look up at him with joy.

"Do you mean it?"

"Yes, but I also mean what I say about gangs. If you see me in a fight, pretend you don't know me and don't even think of getting in between, no matter how beaten I am."

"Okay, I promise."

"Well, guess I'll be leaving now. Bye y/n, see you later."

"Bye Haru!"

I wipe my tears and try to not make it obvious that I had been crying while going back inside to my room.

I'm overwhelmed with happiness, Haru's 'see you later' made my heart skip a beat. I hope we can hang out soon!