Why Did He Leave Me?

Y/N'S POV
Me and Kenji are out at the mall, being the amazing big sister I am, I'm treating him to a day out. We had been going to different shops and I got a few things for Kenji. Now we got a take away from McDonald's and sit outside to eat on the benches. There's place to sit inside but we never sit there because it makes Kenji upset. He wants to act big and strong, but not having a father really affects him so seeing all the happy families makes him dejected. In truth, not having a father really hurts me too but I want to be strong and someone Kenji can rely on, if he sees I'm upset too then he might think that his worries are too burdensome on me.

Our dad left a bit after we found out Kenji's gender. The doctors thought he was going to be a girl which for some reason angered him and he took it out on, mostly our mom, and sometimes me as well. He decided to leave after that and a few months later Kenji was born and, surprisingly, he was a boy. I had mixed feelings when he was born but they're all gone now.

A family of four walk past, laughing, with the youngest on the father's shoulders. Kenji stares at them. He stares with eyes, I could tell were, shrouded in envy so I try to distract him.

"Hey Kenji, you done?"

"Oh, yes we can go now."

We both get up and throw our rubbish in the bin and head to the bus stop. Usually the bus can be delayed but today it came on time and drops us off at the bus stop near our home.

"Hey y/n?"

"Something wrong?"

"Why is it only us? Why are we the only ones with no father?"

"Kenji... did something happen at school?"

"Yeah. Some kids make fun of me for not having a dad like them."

Kenji doesn't like talking about how school is and now I'm starting to understand why.

"And they're all completely right. I don't have anyone to teach what it means to be a "man", I mean I can't even shave properly!" He almost yells out while pointing at some scratches on the side of his jaw.

"Kenji, don't say that. Being a "man" isn't defined by some checklist of manliness. Someone isn't more manly than you just because he doesn't cry, it isn't even a competition. In my opinion the only requirement is to be able respect others. Those guys at your school are boys, they're not men."

"What about... guy stuff I need to know? I love you and mom but how could you guys teach me that."

He makes a fair point. Me and mom couldn't teach about the more male oriented topics as we don't know about them, though, I do have an idea on how to tackle that. We reach home and Kenji sits in the living room while I stand at the entrance and take my phone out.

"Hey Haru I know this is a bit sudden but I need help with Kenji."

"What's wrong?"
"Is he okay?"

"He's having some trouble with "guy stuff" and I was thinking since you're a guy you could maybe help him."

HARU'S POV
Kenji's situation hits close to home so I agree to head over to y/n's now.

I knock on the door and y/n answers.

"Hey Haru, Kenji's in the living room on his own."

"Alright, I'll talk with him."

I walk past y/n and open the living room door just enough so I can get through and then close it again. Kenji's sitting there crying on the couch. I sit next to him and try to comfort him by patting him on the back.

"Hey, I'm here to help you. Everything will be okay, y/n said you needed help with guy stuff."

"T-that was a lie! I'm not worried about guy stuff, I'm just so frustrated that my own dad would leave me! I didn't want to say that in front of y/n because I knew I would cry."

"Why would crying be such a bad thing?"

"Because it's not manly... y/n says being a man isn't about things like that but everyone at school says otherwise."

It's incredibly sad to see a young boy being tormented this much.

"As someone with no father, I also wondered why he would leave me, I used to get so upset about it."

"But you're not anymore?"

"Yes. That's because I surrounded myself with people who I know value me and wouldn't leave me. Sure I still get hurt thinking about him but I have my family who I know also feel the same as me and we can support each other. My sister, grandma and... brother. They're the only family I need."

"That's right I have mom and y/n."

"You know y/n may not show it but she's definitely hurting too. You two should support each other, that's the best way to get past this, and I can help you out too."

"So far y/n's been the one helping me but now I feel like I haven't done anything for her..."

"That's okay, y/n's hid her feelings but you know now."

"Thank you Haru, talking to you made me feel better!"

"It's all good."

I get up and head for the door and Kenji stops me.

"At some point, could you... teach me how to shave?" He shyly asks.

"Of course." I smile and open the door to leave.

The first thing I see is y/n on the floor with her back against the wardrobe near the entrance, her eyes puffy and face slightly red. I sit next to her.

"Do you need someone to talk to as well?"

"No, but can you stay here please?"

I put my arm around her shoulder and she instantly leans towards me.

"Thanks for helping Kenji. It really means a lot to him and me too."

"I'm just glad I can help."

We stay sitting like this. While with Kenji words seem to comfort him, y/n feels more comforted by physical contact like hugging.

KENJI'S POV
My dad left me because he doesn't care about me. Y/n and mom care about me though so I'll focus on worrying about them. He can't be that great of a person anyway if he left his wife and kids without much of a thought.

From now on I'll support my family the best I can. My mom and sister.