Hiroto and Aiko

"You're really weak you know! Can't even stand up for yourself!" He laughed at me.

"Please stop..." I cried to myself which did nothing to stop their teasing.

"You're really crying now?"

At school I don't have much presence, when people do acknowledge me it's usually to make fun of me. I can barely stand up for myself, not that that would do much considering my lack of physical strength. They act in groups as well, such cowards.

"Hey! Cut it out!" I hear a voice yell. "You guys are pathetic, all of you picking on a girl who's on her own! Do you have no shame?!"

"What do you want?" The boy agitatedly scoffed. "Go away."

"Leave her alone first." The boy holds his ground with fierce determination.

"Fine, not in the mood to pick a fight but next time I will!" He walked off without much of a fight.

"Hey, are you okay? What's your name?"

I finally look up to see a boy with short, scruffy black hair and a smile. His smile is so gentle, much different from the mocking expressions of the others.

"I'm Aiko and yeah I'm fine..."

"That's good. I'm Hiroto by the way, nice to meet you!"

...

From top of the hill we rest and admire the rising sun. Away from the village and the people.

"The area we live in really sucks, doesn't it?"

"I think it could be better yeah..."

"This place is poor, we barely get taught anything, we can't afford much luxuries and not to mention the other kids are just cruel."

"But we could be worse off? There are other people that don't even parents or anyone to look after them."

I sit up with a sudden burst of anger. I don't know why I feel this strongly at Aiko's dismissal but it just makes me angry.

"Everyone picks on you and your parents don't even pay attention to you! What do you mean it could be worse?!"

"Umm- well..."

My eyes widen and I feel a panging of guilt at the sight of Aiko's confused panic in front of me.

"Sorry, that was really uncalled for. I am really sorry Aiko."

I move closer to her and hold her left hand that was laying on the grass. I continuously repeat apologises, I didn't mean to say that. I was angry but not at Aiko and the way I said it made it seem like I was.

"It's okay Hiroto, I know you mean well." Aiko smiles. "You must be frustrated too, you're the only here that dreams big and everyone here looks down on you for it."

"I am frustrated but it was still wrong of me to yell at you..."

Aiko removes her hand from mine and pulls me into a hug while gently swaying us.

"That's already been forgiven! Just promise me one thing."

"Heh, is this going to be one of your corny requests!"

She pulls away and gives an angry expression to me. Or an attempted angry expression. Aiko can never truly be angry at anyone, she's too kind for that.