The Devils Piss. (352)

MADISON'S POV:

Kai never locks his door and with a community like this he doesn't need to. I usher everyone inside, peaking around corners of different rooms to make sure we're alone.

Content that we have the house to ourselves for a while, I go to the kitchen. Luke waves for the women to lead the way. An act of chivalry that I have long forgotten about but it adds to his character and I can't help but appreciate his role in his little group. The glue.

Magna is hot headed and direct, possibly the leader. Yumiko is tougher to read but her loyalty to her group stood out by a mile, even while injured. Kelly and Connie are peas in a pod, never separated and ruthless with getting shit done.

"When did you last eat ?" I ask as they take a seat by the small rounded table.
"Yesterday." Kelly responds instantly as I rummage through the fridge and cupboards. The best I can find is soup.
"Kai's not much of a cook but I'm guessing Carol left this for him when she dropped Henry off."

I heat it on the stove, thankful with the simple task and relieved that they don't have to be a victim to my poor cooking skills. Kara and Judith can't say the same. The soup is thick but smooth and after a few minutes it begins to bubble from the heat. I pour it into six bowls and stick one in the fridge for Kai when he gets home.

As the sun sets and the sky darkens I begin to get nervous. I've never wanted to deal with a situation so fast and ignore it all at the same time. We sit in silence with our stomachs full and our eyes heavy.

"We should call it a night." I urge, hoping to get the show on the road as soon as possible.
They nod in agreement.
"I can help set up beds in the sitting room. There's two couches you can fight over."

Connie's hand shoots up first, calling dibs, followed by Yumiko. Luke, Magna and Kelly sigh in annoyance but there was no further bickering. I raise my brows in surprise. Had that been Carl, Jenna, Kai and I we would've been at each other's necks.

I help them make beds from multiple blankets and pillows and I make sure one last time that they have everything they need.
"It's your first time out in the community properly today and you don't even have a proper bed to sleep on, sorry."

"This is perfect, Really. We appreciate you letting us look around the community today and not treating us like a threat."
"I hope that's not true." I answer Luke.
He shakes his head. "It's not and you know it's not. Otherwise you wouldn't be sleeping in the same house with us all by yourself." He doesn't say it like a threat, more like a fact. I can tell he uses his most comforting voice to make it sound like I shouldn't be alarmed by what he said.

"You remind me of our group once upon a time, before we found this place. We were outside these walls for too long. It's hard to trust people or let them trust you when you've been conditioned to believe otherwise out there."
Kelly nods.

"I'll be upstairs if you need me. See you in the morning."
I turn without another word and make my way to the stairs. Kai's room is the second on the right once I'm up the stairs and my feet automatically take me there. I close the door quickly behind me while my hand snakes into my pocket and curls around the NyQuil bottle. I take a breath and debate my options.

This is stupid. So stupid! It's stupid that I can't just tell Siddiq about my situation but it's not because I'm embarrassed or ashamed but I know from being in the infirmary hundreds of times that there isn't anything in there that he could properly, medically use or give me that could make this go away.

I've scaled that infirmary head to toe on numerous occasions to help with patients or to make Kara or Judith feel better over the years when they were sick. We don't have the proper medicine or resources like that here. It makes me wonder if other woman in the community have had to resort to other options in similar situations to mine.