"Mercy won't help you win." (331)

MADISON'S POV

The car rocks to and fro uneasily as Malia presses down hesitantly on the accelerator. I figured if I let her drive we'd have a better chance surviving from the house to the gate of Alexandria.

"Do you not know how to drive?" Malia Asks, making small talk as we drive down the narrow road.
"No, I can drive, just not well."
She shrugs and keeps her eyes forward on the road.
"What made you trust me enough to get in a car with me ?"
"Do you not see the gun in my hand? Does that scream trust to you?" I ask, waving the gun in my hand to emphasis my point.

I sit sidewards in my seat and point the gun at her incase she tries anything. Fangs sit in the back with his head stuck outside the window. His panting is obnoxiously loud.

"You can either sit in the trunk later or you can fight, but if you fight, you fight for us and if you turn on any of us I'll place an arrow in the base of your skull. Clear?"
She smirks. "Crystal."

She sighs heavily, dramatically. "Have you seen all Negan's men? We're all gonna die."
I roll my eyes. "If that sort of optimism isn't what gets a woman out of bed in the morning, I don't know what is." I mock.
"I'm serious. We'll be outnumbered. Negan has hundreds of men and all we have are a few of our best fighters from Alexandria, the hilltop and the kingdom. Rick couldn't get Oceanside on our team"
"Well, we just need to look past that. There's not much we can do about it. They may have numbers but we have fighters." I murmur.

"How do you even know where this is?" I ask.
"Carl told me."
I roll my eyes. "Of course he did."
I change the topic to a more interesting subject.
"I assume the saviors are running around like headless chickens now that our reliable food sources have cut them off?"
She shrugs. "They're scraping by but it'll catch up to them.

"I pity them." She whispers and I frown in confusion.
"Why?"
"They're not all assholes Madison. There's children there and their mothers are just looking for another day of shelter to keep them safe. It doesn't matter who provides them it or what they do, as long as their family is looked after why should they care?" She mumbles.

This is a side of Malia that I've never seen. I sit and wait for her to snicker or make a sarcastic comment but none follow. She's being serious.
"Huh, you do have a heart."
"Surprised?" She chuckles.
"Astounded." I mock.

I remember thinking similar to her when I was stuck at the sanctuary, but time has made me forget that not all the saviors are monsters, they're just survivors.

"You've forgotten that I lived there... for a while at least. They're not all savages, some are kind. Like the old lady at the last stall in the hub, she used to give me an apple when that old hag Martha wouldn't sell me anything from her stall. She had a thing against pregnancy out of wedlock. I mean, what is this the 1600's?" I roll my eyes before continuing.

"Or the red-haired once-student nurse who volunteered to help me give birth or a Mexican stranger who took a chance on a lonely pregnant girl and took care of her for absolutely nothing in return."
Malia glances away from the road and stares at me for a few long seconds before she connects the dots.
"Kai?" She asks in shock.
I nod with a smile.
"Huh, Negan never mentioned Kai."

I cock my head to the side and narrow my eyes. "Negan spoke to you?"
"Yes." Her eyes return to the road.
"Regularly?"
"Yes."
"Why?"
She shrugs. "Not sure really. He took an interest in me. He said I reminded him of someone." She glances once again in my direction.
"I guess I know who he was talking about." She murmurs.

"We're here." She pulls into the side of the road and kills the engine.
The moment the engine goes silent the loud noise is replaced with screams and uproar over the hill we're about to climb.