In Another World (353)

MADISON'S POV:

I wake to what can only be described as a screwdriver trying to drill it's way into my head from my temples. The headache is so severe I allow my hands to curl around it, into a shield. But nothing helps it go away. It's the kind of headache that stops all other traffic in the brain and I wonder how I can remember to breathe.

It's only after a few minutes that I notice how hard my bed is. Usually I'm so cozy in my bed that I'll roll over to find more sleep but this bed isn't just hard, it's solid and flat. I try to resolve in my tired brain why my bed would feel like this, but my head is out of control, trying to connect other dots. It makes me realize that maybe my headache are my memories fighting each other.

I blink my eyes open and let them adjust to the light pouring in from a nearby window. That's the second sign that I'm not in my own room. I sit up with a gasp and my head spins. I look next to me and find a glass of water. I don't hesitate to gulp it all down, unsatisfied when I finish it quickly. My throat feels like somebody has been rubbing it down with sandpaper. It's raw.

Although it takes me a moment to remember why I'm here, I instantly know where I am and I can't prevent the groan that escapes my lips.
What a mess!

When I open my eyes again I notice Kai sitting in a chair across the room. He stares at me but not like he did last night. This time, his stare is uncomfortable, more than before.

His stare is blank yet icy. I didn't think it was possible to pair those words together but somehow I can't find any other words to describe those eyes right now.

I also can't find the words to describe how they make me feel either. All I know is suddenly I find it hard to breath. My breath becomes constricted and shallow and my body doesn't allow me to move an inch. It feels like if I make the wrong move he may combust.

We stare at each other for a few long moments, neither of us speaking. A chill runs down my spine and I find that the chaos inside my brain has made itself detach from my mouth. I'm at a complete loss for words.

I watch as he takes a deep breath. He holds it for thirty-five seconds before he exhales but nothing else changes after that. I can hear the chatter of people outside, on the street and the banging of hammers nearby by the crew creating our new walls. Kai should be on that crew this morning. He was supposed to work today.

After another painful two hundred and sixteen seconds he finally leans forward in his chair and opens his mouth.
"I've been sitting here all night trying to come up with a reason why you didn't talk to me. Or why you went ahead with it and told nobody.... But I can't come up with a reason good enough." His voice is dark and cold.

I have never ever seen him this angry before. Another chill runs down my back. Kai and I have fought before, bickered even. Some times it's more serious than others and other times it's petty and barely worth the fight but this, this is very very different from anything we've ever handled before.

"Do you know how dangerous this was ? How wreckless-"
He runs a hand through his hair and for a second he looks like he might tear it out. "Esto podría haber terminado mal."
"I needed it done." I tell him.

"I needed it over and I'm sorry I didn't tell you but..."
"But what?" He pushes.
"Nothing you could've said would've convinced me to keep it. I'm sorry but it's true."

His mouth falls open and he practically falls back into his chairs again. The stare returns, though this time his eyes are slightly more readable. He's hurt, more than hurt. He looks betrayed.
"I can't apologize for what I done. I won't. I can apologize for how I went about it but I won't apologize for doing what I had to do." I defend myself.