Drunk. (309)

MADISON'S POV.

My feet pounds against the tarmac with little grace. The sound echoes through the silence of night, sure to wake the neighbors. I've ran around the community six times and I still force myself to keep running, it's late and it's dark and I'm angry and that combination doesn't serve well outside these walls so I keep running to distract myself.

My legs move at a quickening pace as my ankles act as coiled springs bouncing me into the next step, full of energy and anger but the rest of my body pleads for me to stop. My side aches, just where my scar is but I don't care I continue to run. My lungs are screaming for air, a proper breath of air instead of small sharp intakes, it's not enough. Sweat pours down my body in thick, salty beads, making my clothes stick to me. My heart pounds at a worrying pace and my throat is dry.

Finally, I stop in my tracks and my legs buckle under the pressure and tiredness and I just lay flat on the ground, looking up at the sky watching the stars twinkle as I catch my breath.

I went through different stages of emotions while running. First I was sad, then I felt guilt, a type of guilt I've never known and not just for Carl but for Camilla and Joyce too, then I was angry, angry at myself and now... I'm back to sad. I look up at the stars and think of Abbie, the stars always remind me of her and of that night. I refuse to let the next round of tears take over me. I'm done crying...

I heave one last deep breath and exhale loudly before picking myself off the ground and looking around to see where I am.

To my right are the growing vegetable patches and to my left the pantry stands, tempting me.
Rick has the keys but for some reason that makes me want to get inside all the more. I walk around to the back of the small garage and bend onto my knees to look through the small gritted window that lies on the ground and is used as a vent.

I reach back and grab an arrow shoving it into the crevice of the window and wedging it open. I through my arrows and bow in first before I slide inside with minimum effort. To be honest, I'm disappointed. I wanted a challenge and now that I'm inside I don't know what to do. I grumble to myself as I walk through all the shelves filled with various foods. Cans, packets, tins, treats....alcohol.

I stop dead in my tracks. I've never had any interest in drinking or even tasting it. I know this should be a milestone for a normal teenager in a normal world, sneaking off to get wasted with their friends, but for me, it's just another reminder of what this world has taken from me. And from every other kid.

I stare at it for a while,debating in my head, before snatching two bottles of wine off the shelf and walking back to the small window vent I climbed through.

I pop the cork as I walk towards the bell tower. Where else can I go ?
Surely not home.
It's too late to go outside the gates, too dangerous.
The bell tower will do.

I tip the bottle back until my mouth is filled with the liquid. I swish it around in my mouth, curiously tasting it. It's tangy and bitter and not at all what I expected. I swallow only to discover that the after taste is worse than I initially thought.

I grimace and stick out my tongue like a child when they spit out their food.
"Ugh, yuck, disgusting!"
I shake my head but take another swig anyways as I push open the bell tower door with my foot. I haven't seen it since it's been rebuilt. If I recall, the last time I was here Jenna tried to attack me.
Ah the good old days.

I climb the stairs to the top until I'm out of breath. I reward myself with another gulp of disgusting wine when I reach the top.
At least the view is still the same. I look at the view of our home. I see the infirmary, the church, the armory, Hell I think I can even see our house.