Heart to Heart. (321)

MADISON'S POV.

Not a word is spoken.
Silence lingers in the air that all of a sudden has thickened, making it hard to breath. My heart races at a speed that makes me believe that everyone else could surely hear it too. But everyone's eyes are fixed on the walker snapping at reaching for us.

When I stare at her it's almost as if she's still there, trapped behind those eyes, desperate to escape, desperate for help and we can't give it to her. My heart clenches and tears spring to my eyes.

Kai groans with a pained cry as he heaved himself back up to his feet. He slowly shuffles closer to her...it.
I look down as I hear the strangled cry escape him as the truth hits him. His sister was here the whole time and I knew and said nothing...nothing.

He reluctantly reaches for his knife and lifts it into the air as Rick holds her still.
I look away once more until I hear the sound of the knife entering her skull. I shiver.

I peek up through my lashes to see Rick help Kai lay her down on the ground.
When Kai looks back up his eyes meet mine. But they don't belong to my Kai. They're not full of kindness, goofiness and warmth. I take note of his fists balling close my his side, the muscles in his arms tense. I focus on them instead of his eyes.

They're fully of anger and hatred and I can't bare to look at him. I deserve it, I know I do, I deserve much worse but I'm a selfish person so I look away despite everything I've done to him.

"You knew?" His voice shakes and I hear it crack. I feel my own tears dribble stupidly down my face. Now is not the time for tears.
He asks me it like a question but the trace of accusation is clear in his voice.
"YOU KNEW!" He shouts again and I nod too quickly.

"She was never dead and you knew this whole time. You've been messing with my head this whole time, haven't you." Disgust is thick in his voice and I finally look up and to my surprise, I find him standing closer to me than I thought.
"No, Kai, I swear. It's not like that, I promise, I can explain everything just please let m-"
"You think I'd believe another word that comes from your mouth?"

My heart drops. I didn't think it was possible to feel even worse than I did already, but I stand corrected.
"Kai..." my voice comes out like a plea.
"Please, just-" I beg again but he interrupts.
"Nah, I'm done with you Maddie. Jeez, you actually had me fooled there. You're so far up you're own ass that you couldn't even notice how madly I am in love with you but it was all a game to you. Since the beginning and I should've known better."
I feel my jaw drop, my head spins as I try to process all of this.
He loves me ?

"Kai, I didn't want to hurt you, I'm sorry, I can-"
"YOU CAN'T DO SHIT MADISON! She's dead!" His voice breaks.
"Guys, you're attracting walkers. We need to get out of here." Rick interrupts.
I had forgotten everyone else was here. I quickly dry my tears with my sleeve and look around at the confused faces.
Even Fangs' head has cocked to the side in bewilderment.

I take a step towards Kai but he cuts past me, knocking into my shoulder along the way. I stumble but quickly find my feet.
"Fine by me. First chance I get I'm out of here. I'm not sticking around, I was only here for you. We're done Mads."

CARL'S POV.

The journey home was awkward. You could have cut the tension in the air with a knife. Kai sat down the far end of the RV and locked the door while Madison sat down on the floor next to the door. Fangs say quietly with her while she tried hard to hold herself together.

I knew she was crying and I knew she was embarrassed about it. I watched as she'd turn her head away to hide her face, it was almost unnoticeable but I could see the way her shoulders were slumped and her body gently shook. Fangs would occasionally scoot closer and lick the tears off her face.

Undeadजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें