Uninvited guest. (312)

MADISON'S POV.

I roll the car into a stop outside the gate. Within seconds the gate slides open for me. I drive it just inside the gate and kill the engine, hopping out Tara looks at me curiously from the watch point above me.

"I didn't see you leave. Where were you?" She asks politely.
I shrug. "Just practicing driving. I'm awful at it."
She chuckles once.
"'Kay, but... don't go outside the gates by yourself anymore. It's not safe."
I nod.
"See you around kid." She smiles.
I wave and hurry back to the house.

Fangs keeps up with me but pants loudly.
"I'll get you something to drink when we get back." I promise him, petting his side.
We both amble casually up to the porch steps.
"Where were you?" Kai catches me.
I jump, I wasn't expecting him.

I turn around to find him on the path just in front of the porch.
I just walked there.
"Who are you, Houdini?" I gasp.
"I could say the same about you. I've been looking for you everywhere. Where were you?" He questions again.

I rack my brain for an excuse.
"Driving...."
He shakes his head. "Don't lie to me. You're a shitty driver. You don't drive unless you have to. Tell me where you really were." He insists once more.
I sigh and look to the ground.
"You went to see him, didn't you?" He confronts me.

I feel the breath knocked out of me and my palms begin to sweat.
"Didn't you?" You presses more forcefully.
"Yes."
"POR AMOR DE DIOS, MADDIE! What were you thinking? He could've killed you." He yells at me.
Kai never yells.

I scramble down the steps to get closer to him.
"Shhh!" I panic.
I grab his arms and plead with him.
"I'm sorry, okay. I just, I had to say what was on my mind and I could only say it to him. You know better than anyone that he wouldn't hurt me." I urge.
He nods his head and pulls me into a hug.

My head levels with his chest which causes me to almost suffocate on his shirt at the same time as being almost squeezed to death.
He sighs.
"I knew where you were, I just wanted you to say it. I almost went to get you." He admits.
"That wouldn't have ended well for you." I noted.
"I know..."
I pull back and look and him dead in the eyes.

Did he just say he would die for me ?

I pull back from the embrace.
"Please just don't tell anyone, not until I do."
"And when will that be?" He asks.
"Depends on how long I can drag it out."
He rolls his eyes.
"Mads!" He groans and I pace back up the steps.
"I know. Soon, Kai, I promise. Just not yet, we need things to cool down first. If Rick found out he might actually kill me himself."

Just then the door swings open and Rick steps out onto the porch beside me.
"If I found out what?" He wonders.
My heart skips a beat.
"Hey, you know the saying. Eavesdroppers don't hear good of themselves." I tutt.
"If I found out what?" He pushes again.
"That I'm pregnant again."

Rick's face falls and I swear he looks like he's about to take a stroke.
"Jesus, relax! I'm kidding." I punch his arm playfully and leave him stunned at the doorway, hoping the relief will be enough to distract him.
"See you later Kai." I shout back.

Fangs speeds past me and into the kitchen before I've even stepped inside the door. As I walk in Judith is taking some unsteady steps towards me. Her hands outstretched towards me and a smile on her face. She has the same eyes as Carl. Even the little crinkle beside their eyes when they grin.

I scoop her up into my arms and kiss her on the forehead. I tickle her on her tummy just to listen to her little giggle.
"Maddie."
I smile. I've heard her say it a few times since I've gotten back but it still surprises me. Carl said she was saying my name when I was gone too.