Thunder. (340)

MADISON'S POV.

"So, what did you want to ask me in private?" I ask, nervously.
"Well, you knew what to give Yumiko when she was in pain yesterday."
I shrug, doesn't seem like a big deal, just some painkillers.
"And you have a medical background." Siddiq backs up his point.

I start to shake my head and back away, already hating where this conversation is going.
"Medical background? That's a bit far fetched."
"You worked in a hospital, Madison."
"Yeah, for like a few days."
"A few months, you mean?"
"Uh yeah, time I used to kill numerous people, crash the ambulance into smithereens and set the place on fire, so I think it's completely fair to say that my sole purpose there was not to pursue a career in medicine."

"I already know where you're going with this and before you ask it the answer is no." I say sternly.
"These people need you Madison. And between here and the Hilltop I can't keep going back and forth to care for people who need constant care."
I shake my head.
I start nervously shaking my hands. It's supposed to look like I'm saying
'Stop right there'
But really I just look like an idiot.

"Hey, not fair! Don't try to guilt trip me into this shit."
"Mads-"
"No! I already have a job."
"But you have medical knowledge."
"No, I've just picked things up over the years."
"Yes. You've had pancreatitis, so you know how sensitive and vital those surrounding organs are, you know the procedure to help it. You're daughter has asthma, so you know about the lungs and inhalers. You can care for pregnant woman because you've been in their position, in the worst state too. You know how to stitch, you know how to tend to wounds, you know the names of the medications in the cabinet. We can't get much better than that Madison."
"Uh, yeah we can. How about we just find, hm, I don't know, AN ACTUAL DOCTOR???"
He chuckles.
"Just because I got knocked up and my daughter has shitty lungs, doesn't mean I'm a certified doctor!"

"Look, I know it's scary. But I've taught Enid over at the hilltop. I can teach you too."
"If Enid is already there then why do you have to leave? Stay." I plead.
He shakes his head. "She's not that advanced."

"You'd be helping a lot of people, Madison."
"Or making the situation worse."
"For some people, their health can't get much worse."
I turn for the door, this is too much and I've already had one hell of a morning.

"Just think about it Mads. Promise me you will."
I look at him in defeat, he's pushing all these valid points and the only thing making me push right back is fear.
"I like it out there. Outside the walls. That's where I belong, not stuck in here."
"You can balance it Madison. Make scheduled appointments for less serious cases."
"And for serious cases?"
"We haven't had one here in years. The infirmary is practically always empty."

I spin around again and this time I open the door.
"Promise me." He repeats which such confidence and sincerity that I sigh.
"Fine, I'll consider it but that doesn't mean yes."
He smiles widely. "I can work with that."
His confidence makes me groan because I know I'm roped into this now, I couldn't back out. It'd be way too selfish.
"Just so you know, your well thought out points and sense of morality is really annoying."
He laughs loudly as I shut the door behind me.

I mutter angrily to myself the whole way over to Kai's house. I don't even knock, I just barge right in. I'm so angry about everything that's happened in the past 24 hours. I finally understand why Carl laced the umbrella stand down the hall. I want to hit something, someone, but ironically I've been trying to teach my daughter that that's wrong.

"Life is a fucking bitch." I grumble as I make my way into kitchen.
Tara, Daryl, Eugene and Kai all look up at me. They sit around the table with bowls of cereal, making my sudden outburst slightly more awkward than I intended it to be.