Can of Worms. (354)

MADISON'S POV.

Siddiq, Kai and I have spent the past hour on the floor, tearing through the books from the infirmary shelves, looking through for my symptoms. I assured them that aside from the pounding headache from my antics last night I was fine. I felt fine but my words didn't ease the panic in Kai's eyes.

But time was ticking on and my family were panicking I'm sure. I try to pull together an excuse but I can't think of one that would explain the state Carl saw me in.

I shut the book with a loud slam and sigh.
"I'm done with this. I honestly don't know what's wrong with me but I would know if it was serious, right? I feel fine, healthy. I don't know what happened but I'm happy to move on."
Kai and Siddiq exchange a strange glance at each other and then stick their heads back in the books.
"What?" I snap.

Kai shakes his head. "We should keep looking Maddie."
I begin to protest but Siddiq holds a hand up to stop me.
"Sometimes people are sick and they don't even know it. I see it here everyday. Don't brush over this."

I sigh again, I can't help it, but I do understand their concern. I'm just tired and my head hurts.
"Okay." I nod. "You're right. We'll keep looking but maybe later. I need to go home and let everyone know that I'm okay." A different kind of fear kicks in as
I think of the stories and jumped conclusions they must have at home.

"I don't know if they said anything to Kara or-"
"It's okay Mads, we'll go home. We can look more later." Kai assures me.
We begin to gather the books but Siddiq shakes his head.
"You go, leave the books, I'll grab them later. I'm going to keep looking." He smiles softly.
"Thank you Siddiq, for everything." I squeeze his shoulder gently, just like he did for me before the ultrasound.

Kai stands first and grabs my outstretched hands, pulling me to my feet.
We close the door behind us as we walk back to my house. I'm thankful for the cool air on my face.
I release a breath of relief.
"What are you going to tell them?"
I shake my head. "I honestly don't know. Any ideas?"
He shakes his head.

We walk in silence together as we think.
Kai perks up. "You could tell them you accidentally mixed bleach and ammonia, knocked yourself out."
I scoff. "They know I don't clean."
"Yeah."

"Thats all I can think of unless you want to tell them the truth."
I look at him in disbelief. "You'd want me to explain that?"
"No. I was just hoping you wouldn't either."
I smile at his response but we finally make it to the porch and I'm just as clueless as he is.
"I won't stay long, I'm going to go back and help Siddiq, see what we can find."
I nod.

I pull him close and bury my head into his chest. I feel his arms wrap around me and his hands clasp at my lower back, squeezing me closer to him.
"I'm sorry."
"I know." He murmurs.
"Thank you for... everything. For just being you."
"Maddie." He whispers my name in a way that dismisses my gratitude, as if it's not needed.

I can't help but close my eyes. The comfort I've found with him is something I don't take for granted. Years ago, I would've thought it impossible to have almost everything I've ever wanted. But here I am, safe behind walls with Kara, Kai, Carl, Jenna, Rick, Michonne, Fangs and the rest of my family. It's rare for people to be that lucky. I'm not saying my life is seamless, it's clearly not but I'm not unaware of how fortunate I am.

I shake my head at the thought of what my life would look like if I hadn't wandered into the hub in the sanctuary that day. If I hadn't sat on that couch. If he hadn't noticed me...

The sound of a door being flung open snaps me from my thoughts and I tear my face from Kai's chest to look up at our front door. The door swings viciously open and smashes loudly into the wall behind it, sure to leave a mark.