Snitch. (326)

CARL'S POV.

I hear a loud knock on my door before it opens.
"Carl, get up. Everyone is downstairs. It's time we went ahead with this plan." Dad explains.
I groan and turn over in my bed, hoping to receive just two more minutes in the warmth of my bed.

That thought is quickly dismissed as dad rips the blanket off me.
"Let's go, we don't have all day."
"Wow, you are so lucky I don't sleep naked."
"Five minutes, Carl." He warns.
I groan again before heaving myself out of bed.

I throw on my clothes and walk to my counter grabbing my holster and my hat.
I continue to carry out my morning routine by pulling back the curtains and making my bed before leaving my room and knocking softly of Madison's door.

When I don't hear any response I wait a second before slowly opening the door. It opens with a squeak as it always does and yet despite the noise when I poke my head in the door, I find Madison still asleep.

She lies flat on her back with her head tilted to the side, which is odd because she usually sleeps on her side but when I look closer I see her arms protectively holding onto a sleeping Kara against her chest. Madison looks so at peace. Her features are so much softer in sleep, now more than ever after the past few stressful weeks. Her lips are slightly parted and even from the doorway I can hear her breathing softly. I almost close the door again and let her sleep but dad need us.

So, feeling guilty I move closer to the bed and I call out her name softly.
"Madison."
I place my hand in her shoulders and her eyes flutter open suddenly.
"It's okay, it's just me."
I watch as she relaxes and sinks back into the bed.
"Dad wants us downstairs. I can take Kara if you want ?"
She shakes her head before kissing Kara's head. "No, it's okay. I'll hang onto her for a while longer." She whispers with a smile.

A smile that for once, in a long time, is real. Her eyes light up at once and I almost loose my breath at the sight of her. I want to believe that that smile is truly for me, but I'm not a fool. This has something to do with Kai. I know it.

"He wants us down in five." I mention.
She smiles again in response and I take that as my queue to leave.

I quickly make my way downstairs, greeted by Judith who takes a few wobbly steps towards me, I catch her and lift her up into my arms.
"Hey buddy."
I walk into the living room where I find everyone standing around the coffee table. Carol, Ezekiel, Jerry, Jesus, Maggie, Beth, Daryl, Aaron, Enid, Tara, Kai, Jenna, Michonne and Dad. Hell, even Fangs sits patiently beside the couch.
Everyone is here.

"It's like we never left." I murmur.
"We have a plan." Dad explains.
"We're going to the sanctuary. We're ready. We have the numbers, we have the weapons and ammo, we have power." Michonne adds.

I look at everyone's faces who nod in agreement. I notice that Kai avoids eye contact and instead stares at the ground.
"What's going on?" Madison calls from behind. I turn to find her in the doorway with Kara in her arms. Her eyes briefly divert to Kai and then back again.
"We're gonna kill Negan." Maggie states.
I watch as shock crosses her features momentarily and then she too stares at the ground.

Dad continues on from there to explain the plan which has been well executed. It takes only fifteen minutes for everyone to understand their roles in the plan and then they disappear outside to build shields from cars and trucks. Madison takes Judith from me and takes her and Kara outside. I guess she's going to the graves to spend time with them both. Fangs jumps up and follows her out the door.

I catch Kai before he walks outside.
"I don't know what happened between you too, just that something did. I don't want to know either. She smiled this morning. I mean really smiled. She's happy, or at least as happy as she can be considering everything that's going on. But if you ever hurt her, I'll kill you. That's not a threat, it's a promise. Understand?"
He nods once before leaving and closing the door behind him.