Earthquake. (350)

CARL'S POV.

I leave Daryl behind to deal with Lydia and head for the only person I know who's brutal enough to help me with getting Henry into that cell tonight. I didn't like the plan Madison suggested but I also knew that we didn't have much of a choice. Those skinheads will tear us limb from limb when they find out we have Lydia. We're running against time.

The battle of whether or not to do it was settled pretty quickly. So instead as I stride down the street I try to rehearse how to phrase this and not sound insane. But to be honest, Malia never really deals with anything that's 'normal'. It takes me less than five minutes to march up the familiar path and pound on Malia's front door.

She opens the door with a tired look on her face. Not that she's physically tired, I can just tell she's already not interested in what I have to say.
"I need a favor." I ask and she raises her brow in return, glancing behind me for anyone who might be with me. Her face lights up falsely.
"Anything for you babe." She smiles sourly.
I roll my eyes and brush past her, inviting myself into her house.
"Cut it out. Mads isn't here."

Malia lives to push Madison's buttons but she's just as snappy as Malia. Their interactions are just as unusual as they are entertaining. Neither of them will ever give away an opportunity to start a fight with each other. Malia was quick to notice that if me or Kai are ever brought into the conversation shit gets intense really fast. As much as Madison denies it, they're scarily alike.

Which is why if Madison wasn't busy today she'd be the first person I'd ask to help me with this particular task, because, only similar to a handful of people here, she rarely gives a fuck about the rules and she's brutal enough to get the job done, either the easy way or the hard way. Neither way really bothers her. Which is probably why she lands herself in so much trouble all the time.

"Well, are you gonna just stand there or what? Why are you here?" Her face falls back into the tired look and her mood changes back abruptly.
"The new kid, Henry-"
"You want me to kill-"
"No! Jesus. Let me talk first." I sigh loudly before continuing.

"I need him in the cell tonight."
She frowns. "That makes zero sense."
"Besides, isn't that whisperer girl in there?"
I nod. "Yeah. Which is exactly why he needs to be there too. We're kinda hoping he'll accidentally get her to talk."
"Who's 'we'?"
I know if I tell her it was Madison's idea she'll turn it down immediately.
"Daryl."

She stares at me suspiciously.
I grow irritated. This was a horrible fucking idea. She's just wasting time. I turn back for the door but she catches me by the elbow and tries to turn me back around to face her. I only turn halfway so I can see both her and the door.

"Look, I'll find someone else to do it if you're going to take forever. I don't have all day. I would've went to Jenna for help except she hates my guts right now and that kinda puts a spanner in the works."
"What will I have to do?"
"I don't fucking care. Just get him into the cell tonight."
"Fine. I'll do it."
"Good." I head back towards the door again. "And get him there in one piece."
"No promises." She smirks.

I turn around and shake my head. Malia is the kind of person you can only hang around with for a few minutes before you find yourself wanting to put a bullet in your brain.

As I stalk back towards Daryl and the cell I wonder what it was that Madison had said she was doing today. I don't remember what she said. Maybe she didn't say. She looked really freaked out before I stopped her.

This whole thing could've gone down a whole lot smoother tonight if it were Madison operating the task. She's an unpredictable person but because I've spent so much time with her, the unpredictable has become pretty predictable.