Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust. (341)

MADISON'S POV.

I remain completely and utterly still as Jayden, Eugene and I are crushed together. The sound of hundreds of feet being dragged across the floor boards above us makes shivers rack up and down my body.

Adrenaline floods my system, it pumps and beats like it's trying to escape and the beads of nervous sweats that surface on my palms and forehead prove it. My muscles twitch as my body begs for me to move, to run, fast, but I can do nothing but lay here and pray we aren't found.

It's dark and I can see almost nothing, except a tiny light that shines through the crack on the floorboard, right where the door opens above us. It flickers as the walkers step over it.

I concentrate on Jayden's breathing, it's slow and steady, but almost too slow, as if he's trying hard to control it. It's not comforting at all.

"They were here." A soft dragged out whisper gives me goosebumps. The sound was almost lost in the loud thunder and for a second I'm not even sure if I really heard it.
"They were right here!" Another whisper confirms my previous thoughts. I feel Jayden stiffen next to me. Frustration builds up inside of me.
How could he be so stupid?
I thump him and he grunts lowly.
I place my finger over his lips, pleading with him to shut up.
"They can't be far!" Another whisper, it's different to the first, lower and more threatening.

I freeze when I hear the words because Jayden's lips didn't move an inch under my finger.
What the hell?
I know that wasn't Eugene, he's a shaking mess. He wouldn't dare open his mouth to speak. I remove my finger from his lips.
How could there be people up there? How have they not been mauled?

Jayden leans even closer to me, closer than I thought possible considering his ribs are definitely leaving permanent damage against my own. His lips are practically touching my ear.
He waits for another crack of thunder before he speaks.

"Did you hear that?"
I nod.
He shrugs, and I know it's his way of speaking to me.
What was that?
I respond by shaking my head, I don't know.

We wait in silence for a long time while the mass of the herd passes through the small shack and out the far door. All the while, the air is thick with fear that we'll be found. It could happen so easily. All it takes is just one foot to trip over the door handle, opening the door and revealing us. It could all be over in seconds.

I pray that we get out of here and I can go home to Kara and put her to bed, safe and sound. Instead, she has no idea where her mom is or when she's coming back. Other questions flood my mind.
Where are Daryl, Tara and Fangs? Did they make it home to get help? Are they stuck too?

The more I think about all the possibilities the more crazy I go sitting here, doing nothing. The damp from my soaked hair and bottoms would've given me hyperthermia by now if not for the heat coming from the three of us.

Finally, after what feels like literally hours, the room above us goes silent and the light at the door stop flickering, indicating that nothing is walking over us anymore. We stay perfectly still for another while before one of us finally speaks up.
"Are they gone?" Eugene mumbles.
"Should we check?" I whisper but nobody moves.

It takes me a while to pluck the courage to request something I really don't want to do.
"I'll check."
Jayden immediately grabs my hands and pulls me close to him as I begin to move. We both stay silent but I'm so confused.
"I don't think we're alone." He whispers to me.

The voices, is been wondering about them too. If I'm not the only one who heard them then I'm not crazy, somebody is out there.
I take a deep breath and move slowly. The boys stay quiet which leads me to believe that they aren't going to stop me this time.

Undeadजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें