Scars (304)

MADISON'S POV.

I'm not asleep, but it's still nice to pretend. Carl and I sat out on the porch swing last night and we fell asleep there, with Kara on my chest and his head on my shoulder. And by "we" I mean Carl and Kara slept, I drifted in and out of consciousness.

Now, I can hear the birds sing and the sunlight bounces pools of light on the back of my eyelids, allowing me to see the colors of a summer sunset or bubbling lava. It's peaceful, but my memories keep me awake, taunting me.

"Madison?"
I jump at the sound of my name.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you." I open my eyes to see Rick with his hands up in mock surrender.
"I wasn't really asleep."
"You hungry? I left breakfast on the table for you both."
I shrug. "Thanks."
"What about Kara? What does she eat?"
"She drinks a bottle of formula milk. Carl or Jenna will show you."
I nod.

Rick closes the house door and hobbles stiffly down the porch steps.
"Where are you going?" I ask.
"Checking in with Michonne. It's still early and Maggie and Judith are still asleep so don't make a lot of noise when you go inside." He notes.
"'Kay...Rick?" I call once more and he stops for a second time in his tracks. I smile apologetically.
"What's going on with Jenna ? She was acting strange last night and when I asked Carl last night he didn't really say much."
Rick hesitates. "I think that's something you should discuss with Jenna."
"Um, okay."
He turns away again and limps to the infirmary.

Carl twitches in his sleep before sitting up straight, opening his eyes and stretching.
"Morning." He mouths mid-yawn.
"Morning."
"You sleep?"
"Uh...yeah. Let's get some breakfast."
"M'kay" he agrees quickly, still sleepy.
I hold Kara close as I stand up and make my way inside to the kitchen behind Carl.

As we walk in through the doors the smell of fresh, strong coffee hits my senses.
"Buenos días" Kai smiles up at me.
"Morning." I respond.
"You speak Mexican now?" Carl asks.
"A little, Kai taught me."
Carl's jaw tenses but quickly relaxes and he nods slowly. "Cool."

An awkward silence makes me fidget uncomfortably. 
"So...happy ending after all." Kai breaks the silence finally.
"What?"
"Well, Kara is safe and Madison is alive and at home. We're all together now."
"Well, yeah except for the fact that half of our people are injured and we're still involved in an ongoing war." Carl interrupts.
"Why so negative Carl?" Kai shrugs.
Carl ignores the question.
"Is something wrong here?" I ask.
"No." They both respond simultaneously.
I raise my brows. "Okayyy."

"What is on today's agenda?" I ask.
"For you, nothing. You need to rest." Carl amends.
I know that will never happen.
"What are you doing today ?" I ask Kai.
"I'm here with you... I mean, if you want me to be...or I can help fix the fence." He stutters nervously.
I chuckle, he never gets nervous. What happened to the cheeky flirting.
"Of course I want you here." I answer.
He smiles.
"Where's Jenna?"
Kai shrugs.
I look to Carl.
"She'll be around soon."

"I'm confused. What's wrong with you two?" I refer to Jenna.
"I know you don't exactly get along but..."
I trail off as I stare at Carl who stares at the ground. When I look to Kai for help he looks away too.
"Never mind."
Kai slides two plates over to us on the counter.
"Rick left breakfast."
I stare at the food. I can't think about eating.
"Uh, actually I think I'll go take a shower instead."

I'm still covered in blood and dirt. I managed to wash it off my face last night but I'm in need of a shower, badly. The disgusting hospital gown was trashed the minute I had a second alone. I wanted to set it on fire and never think of it again but I don't want anymore attention than I'm already getting. People are already getting agitated with my lack of answers.
Answers means confessions.
And I'm not ready to face the truth or face Kai to tell him about his sister.