"We Need To Talk." (339)

MADISON'S POV.

It's still dark out but in the distance I can see the sun peaking over the wall, threatening to spill light into the day again. I welcome it, it's been a long night watching the newbies and if I wasn't bickering with Magna then I was looking out the stained glass window, waiting for the sun to arrive so I could go home.

I couldn't stop thinking. My head was on overdrive, thinking about a million things.
Kara and school.
Kai.
Carl and I.
The moment Siddiq showed up to take over I was out of there.

Before I go home I make a quick pitstop. I crouch down and peer through the barred window of Negan's cells. I expect to see him asleep so early in the morning but instead he's wide awake, sitting up on his bed and bouncing the tennis ball I have him off the wall of the cell over and over and over.

"I thought you'd still be asleep."
He jumps at the sound of my unexpected voice.
"Jesus kid!"
I smile at how off guard  he looks. Shock still present on his face.
I smirk. "Well, that's a new look for you, huh."
He rolls his eyes.

"What are you doing up so early?" He asks.
"On watch. You?"
He stands to his feet and comes closer to the window. He simply shrugs.
"Couldn't sleep?"
"Why? What do you have to be worried about down here."
He scoffs. "More than you know." He mutters so low I'm certain I wasn't supposed to hear it. I keep quiet.

He looks more closely at me and grow uncomfortable. I'm about to ask what he's staring at but he opens his mouth.
"You look sick kid, you're really pale."
I shake my head. "It's nothing. Just the flu or something."

"You seem to like your present." I change the subject.
"It's the only thing I have to entertain myself so yeah."
He steps closer and looks up to the window, staring me in the eye a somewhat concerned look in his eyes. At least I think it's concern.

"What happened at the school? With Kara and that kid?" He asks.
"What?"
"I, uh, I mean... I hear people talking, you know. Somebody mentioned there was a fight or something."
"You got all that just from over hearing a few seconds of a conversation?"
He nods.

I sigh and finally give into the ache in my bent legs so finally I sit on the ground next to the window, thankfully a large shrub hides me but nobody is even awake yet so I'm not worried.

"This stupid kid is always picking on Kara and she lashes out. The mother is a grade A pain in my ass and I thinking about kicking her fucking offspring over the wall every ten seconds. Anyways, it's happened so much that the teacher is threatening to expel them. We have to come up with some way to keep Kara in school."
"And have you?" He asks.

I roll my eyes. "Carl and I aren't exactly on the good terms right now so we didn't get around to talking about it. But I've had all night to think about it so I think I have a valid compromise."
Negan nods before asking. "What happened between you and Carl. You guys don't fight, well not anymore."
I explain it all to him as I think back on the events of last night.

******Last Night.*****

"We need to talk."
Carl's face suddenly turns hard as stone.
"Jealous of you? Please." He scoffs, ignoring what I just said.
Ouch.
"Alright, no need to be a bitch about it. I had to ask." I'm proud of myself for staying calm after a comment like that.

"What did Kai say?" He demands.
I lie blatantly. "Nothing. He didn't say anything."
"So you came up with this theory all by yourself?" He accuses, clearly not believing me.
I nod. "He's not happy with you. I was wrong when I agreed with you. Don't ever use Kara as an excuse to-
"-To what Madison?"