"For you." (324)

MADISON'S POV.

Distance is the only thing that matters now. I march through the wooded area, shoving branches and twigs out of my way. The force of pushing past them allows them to snap back, whipping me and creating angry red lines along my skin but it doesn't hurt as much as Rick's ... I don't know what that was. All I know is he won't listen.

Am I too self absorbed ? I mean, both Carl and Kai pointed it out but I've been trying hard to focus on other people now. Hell, that's why I'm out here in this mess. 

I quit feeling sorry for myself even if I can't stop the nightmares from returning, reminding me of the asylum.
I'm more involved with Kara and Judith.
I hang out with Carl and Jenna and I didn't mention Kai once, even though I wanted to.
I came out here to help Wren find his sister

I sigh heavily.
I'm way past hurt, I'm just angry and anger isn't good for me. It makes me stupid and impulsive. I just focus on continuing walking home instead of turning around and putting an arrow through that bitches skull.

When I reach the opening of the forest that leads to the gate I look up and find a tall figure standing at the entrance of Alexandria. I squint, looking closer and I notice a bag on their back.

I pick up the pace until I can see clearly.
"Kai?" I call.
The figure freezes and slowly turns to face me.
"Maddie? What are you doing out here?"
I breathe a sigh of relief. I can't find the words to answer his question.
"You came back?" I blurt and my voice wobbles.
He shrugs. "I said I would."
I nod and walk closer but I still keep distance between us.

"You didn't think I'd come back, did you?"
I shook my head. "I wouldn't have blamed you if you left."
"I keep my promises."
"I'm sorry." I blurt.

He just turns and shakes the gate for somebody to open it.
"Tara is gone with Rick. They're somewhere behind me." I explain.
"So there's nobody on watch?"
I shrug. I honestly don't know.
"I know sorry isn't enough. You say sorry to someone you bump into on the street not..."
"Not lying about my dead sister."
"Right."

We stand there awkwardly for a few minutes in silence.
I groan as I hear Rick and Tara urgently calling out my name from behind me. I look back but they're too far back, hidden by the trees.
"MADISON!!" Over and over and over.
"What happened?" He asks.

I feel my eyes go wide at the same time as my heart skips a beat.
"Oh my god!" I had been so caught up with him returning that I had forgotten about Malia.

My feet move for me before my brain has time to react. I watch Kai as shock spreads across his features as I lunge at him, grabbing his arm with one hand and shaking the gate with the other.
"Somebody open the damn gate!" I yell.

"Madison? What's going on?"
"Malia." I breathe
"What?"
"Malia Turner. You killed her brother."
"How... how do you know that?"
I begin to kick the gate but nobody comes to our rescue.
"I know a lot of things."
"Yeah, and then you don't tell us."

Ouch.
I stop shaking the gate and look at him.
What do I even say to that ?
"She's going to kill you if-"
My hands are pulled off the gate as I'm forced back, my back hitting the pavement at a speed that knocks the air from my lungs.

I groan as my bones ache in response.
"You knew him!" I hear her scream.
I knew it was her before I looked up.
But sure enough, there she was.
Malia barely climbed on top of me long enough to put a knife to my throat.
And in exactly the same amount of time she was thrown off me, the knife diverting from my neck to my cheek, scraping it harshly.

I feel the blood dribble down my cheek in a swift stream. I race to get back on my feet. I glance towards the trees and watch as the others finally emerge from the trees in time to save us.