Chapter 20

[3rd Person POV]

[CLASS TRIALS: IN SESSION!]

"Now, then. Why don't we get started?"

Monokuma sat smugly on his seat whilst watching the students' 5th Class Trial, the Class Trial for the murder of Ikusaba Mukuro, The 16th Student.

"The culprit is none other than Kirigiri!"
Togami pointed an accusing finger at the girl almost immediately

Without a doubt, this whole trial has every evidence pointing at Kirigiri being the culprit of this case, but it still left Naegi and the rest quite shocked to see Togami accusing her of such a crime despite her being the main one to solve past crimes.

"Why...?"
Naegi asked the heir, feeling the need to protect his friend.

"We found the corpse at around 9:00 in the morning."

"A-And the first one to discover it was... me? I went to the garden to get a pickaxe for Byakuya sama. That's when I found the corpse."
Fukawa supported him.

"However, at 10:00 last night, we found no corpse there."

"Togamicchi and I confirmed that! There's no mistake!"
Hagakure also supported the heir.

"In other words, the crime took place between 10:00 last night and 9:00 this morning?"
Kirigiri asked for confirmation.

"Sometime past 10 PM, right after Hagakure and I parted ways at the garden, I found a broken-down Monokuma. After that, Hagakure, Fukawa, Asahina, L/N and I spent the entire night dismantling his body. L/N was breaking rules by sleeping in the gymnasium to see if Monokuma would respond. The five of us have perfect alibis. You're the only person without one, Kirigiri Kyoko."
Togami concluded

Y/N's just leaning on his podium, he was waiting for the right time to join in their conversation. He's fully aware that doing so may very well put them in danger, but if this entire trial was rigged to kill Kirigiri to begin with, then Y/N has no reasons to even follow the rules anymore.

"Going by what you said, it sounds to me like Naegi kun wasn't with you."
She pointed out, causing Togami to smirk.

Naegi was a little put off by this, and Y/N just raised an eyebrow and realized what she was trying to attempt.

"The sprinklers at the garden are set to go off at 7:30 in the morning, but the corpse wasn't wet. Which means it was left there after the sprinklers shut off. Thus, the murder had to have happened between 7:30 AM and 9 AM. Naegi was with us during that time frame. In other words, Naegi is innocent too."
Togami countered, which made the Lucky Student sigh in slight relief, but he knows that it isn't over yet.

"That's a strange testimony, considering the corpse was wet."

"Only it's upper body was wet when you inspected it? That's because we poured water on it to put out the fire after it exploded in front of us. That's why only the upper half was wet."
Togami explained prompting Fukawa to have perverted thoughts about it.

"Her upper body was wet, but her lower body isn't!? What insane perversion!"

This is when the Information Broker realized what Celeste must've felt back during those times he was even more insane than Fukawa.

"So the sprinklers had nothing to do with why the corpse was wet. But that doesn't necessarily mean the murder occurred after 7:30 AM."
Kirigiri proposed another argument.

"What?"

"Covering the body with a vinyl sheet would prevent the corpse from getting wet. That way, the murder could have happened anytime between 10 PM and 9 AM, when the corpse was discovered. In all reality, I'm sure that's what the culprit did. In fact, there was a vinyl sheet in the garden's storage shed. Following that logic, Naegi kun could have committed the crime as well."