Chapter 4: Road to Lupusmons

I hurriedly entered the elevator before my shift alarm went off. Luckily, it didn't happen until the door closed automatically.

I took a deep breath and looked at the metal walls around me trying to calm my nerves. I was worried about the possible punishment I might receive from Alpha tomorrow.

It's my birthday and I hope my shift goes smoothly so that I can recover quickly if he physically punishes me.

As I opened the door and rushed out I felt relieved that the shift process didn't cause any trouble, especially in a public place like this.

Just as I was about to leave the Hildart building, I remembered a text message on my phone. I felt a bit disheartened when I read that it was from my aunt, asking me to come home early and wash her daughters' uniforms.

Thinking about all the tasks I have to do, I realized I'm really busy. I'll only have a few hours left to sleep.

After dinner, I'll have to wash the dishes, clean the kitchen, and then do my laundry, but I'll do theirs first since it's a priority.

Why is life so difficult and dull for someone like me, an omega?

Walking on the side of the road, waiting for a taxi to arrive so I could get home faster, I let out a yelp as my back cracked.

I silently prayed it wouldn't happen in public. I tightened my grip on the strap of my shoulder bag, pretending everything was okay so that humans wouldn't notice.

It was just a minor crack, and it quickly settled. I continued walking, glancing at the buildings, big cars, and streetlights, feeling as if many eyes were watching me.

I'm overthinking...

Looking up at the night sky, my eyes fixated on the moon, I silently pleaded with the moon goddess to spare me from this situation. I've always wanted to have a wolf but not like this.

I can't bring danger to the Dark Moon pack, especially with the rumors spreading about Alpha's strange behavior towards his former secretary.

I reached the shed, noticing a flickering bulb on one side that seemed to be malfunctioning. The other side appeared broken too. This place worked in my favor, hidden in darkness, where even if the shift process attacked me, no one would notice.

I held onto hope that a taxi would come by, indicated by the light.

Just as I was about to sit down, my hip bone suddenly cracked, followed by a painful break in my knee. The agony shot through my entire body, causing me to fall to my knees instead of sitting on the shed's seat.

I gripped the rough pavement, unable to hold back my tears.

I fought the urge to scream especially now that the situation seemed worse. Humans couldn't hear me because if they did, they would think I'm sick and suggest taking me to a hospital. That couldn't happen. They would witness my shifting, and I couldn't bear the consequences.

Clutching my stomach, I tried to support my knee, but then my back bone cracked again, as if something was growing and rising.

I groaned, tears streaming down my cheeks, trying to survey my surroundings.

Out of all the shift processes, mine is the most complicated. Through my groans, I pleaded, "Not now!" and it receded.

In the midst of battling the pain and crying, I heard a man's voice that startled me. "Sophia? What the—"

He rushed towards me. Mentally panicking, I had no choice but to tightly shut my eyes, hoping he wouldn't notice its color.

I recognized him. He's Ethan, Bella's and my best friend. I had assumed he had already gone home, especially since I had worked overtime.