Chapter 5: Moonlight calls

"Where are we going, Alpha?" I mustered the courage to break the silence as my eyes flitting between him and the road ahead as we passed the arch of the Dark Moon village.

The direction we were taking indicated that we were heading somewhere other than the pack. A knot formed in my stomach, and I couldn't help but feel wary of his intentions, especially as he keep wearing an intimidating aura.

He glanced at me warningly, silently urging me not to speak.

I shrank in my seat as my hand still clutching my belly. I didn't want to anger him, especially since I was completely at his mercy. Being in his presence felt suffocating. I wondered how long I could endure it if we were trapped together with no means of escape.

Licking my dry lips, I cast fleeting glances at him and the road, trying to make sense of our journey. I couldn't afford to be clueless.

What if he planned to harm me once we reached our destination?

My heart raced relentlessly, doubts creeping in. I had been disrespectful to him earlier, so why did he help me escape the Litha Moon pack?

Sometimes, that memory convinced me that he wasn't entirely malevolent, that he might actually care about omegas like me.

Taking a slow, calming breath, I silently thanked the heavens that the shifting process hadn't overwhelmed me yet. But, I also knew it could catch me off guard at any moment, so I savored the temporary respite.

The road began to ascend, leading us to a place where many rogues. Humans referred to it as the Mystery Mountain, but wolves called it Lupusmons—the mountain of wolves.

I held my breath for a moment, contemplating how to break through the strong wall he had erected between us.

I convinced myself to give it a try. Yes, I could do it. Releasing my held breath and pressing my lips together, I gathered the courage to speak up again. "A-Alpha..." I trailed off, hoping I could survive his reaction.

To my relief, he didn't growl out of irritation, but instead replied, "You're going to shift under the moonlight. Where do you think we're going?"

Lupusmons... Yes, I understood now. But why? I was just an ordinary wolf. I didn't possess any royal bloodline like him. It seemed peculiar.

As we arrived in the middle of the mountain, I realized there was still an hour to go before my birthday officially began. Unfortunately, the car couldn't ascend any further.

Enduring the pain, I had no choice but to exit the car and attempt to make my way uphill. I was drenched in sweat, and questions about why my shifting process seemed different from others plagued my mind.

I followed closely behind him as we climbed towards the mountaintop. With each step, my stomach twisted at the thought of encountering rogues, particularly the wild ones.

The likelihood of encountering them here was high. Unlike the Alpha, I lacked the ability to defend myself. What if he refused to help me if they attacked? Fear gnawed at me, but I gathered my courage and asked, "A-Aren't there any rogues here, Alpha?"

He countered, "Why? Are you scared?"

"Yes..." I admitted, gulping down my fear and taking a deep breath. "T-They can't be trusted..." My voice trailed off, my apprehension evident.

He took a step forward, his gaze fixed on the three figures ahead, before asking again, "So you want to meet them to determine if they should be trusted or not?"

I couldn't fathom why he said that. It felt as if he regarded me as a naive pup, easily frightened by empty threats. "A-Are you...I-I mean...w-why..." My words stumbled, unable to form a coherent question.