Chapter 8: Dare

I changed into a simple white dress and quickly tidied my hair, all the while sobbing. I stared at my reflection in the mirror listening to Nala scolding me. I couldn't blame her because my body was hers too.

As I left the room, I gasped when Auntie Elvie stood right in front of my bedroom door, arms crossed over her chest. "If you have no conscience, you can report to the Alpha what I did to you," she said with a glare before leaving.

I wouldn't do that...

I wasn't like her, and besides, the Alpha wouldn't care about how I felt right now. I was sure he would punish me for not telling him the truth last night.

With a heavy sigh, I quietly left the house. The two warriors, Nicolas and Borlan, were still waiting for me.

Nicolas uncrossed his arms and faced me, saying, "There you are." He cocked his head towards the gate.

I took a deep breath and nodded. Borlan was the first to start walking, and I followed silently.

We walked along the side of the road, which also served as the village for our pack. It wasn't much different from a human settlement, but it was the most secure among all the villages. The pack was surrounded by high walls to protect us from rogue attacks, in case anyone dared to challenge us.

Though that was unlikely to happen. Humans were more dangerous than werewolves. While we may be physically stronger, humans possessed a variety of weapons that could weaken us. And there were far more humans than werewolves.

"Your scent has gotten stronger. Did you shift?" Borlan asked, slowing down to match my pace.

I couldn't meet his gaze, so I looked away and nodded. I sensed him exchange a glance with Nicolas, and I heard Nicolas whisper, "What if that's her?"

My eyebrows furrowed, intrigued by his words, "What if that's her?" Borlan replied, "Let's find out." He looked at me again and asked, "Where did you shift?"

I gasped, but I had no reason not to answer. "I-I shifted at Lupusmons, the Alpha took me there."

They exchanged look, and Nicolas moved to my left side, placing me in the middle of them. "Does that mean the Alpha witnessed your shift?" he asked.

I nodded, pressing my lips together. Their eyes met once again, clearly in disbelief about something they had just realized. Then Nicolas asked, "We saw the moonlight last night, shining on top of Lupusmons. Don't tell me that was because of your shift?"

I clenched my fist, unsure of how to respond. But Borlan spoke up, saying, "Looks like we'll discover something when we get to the packhouse."

My stomach twisted as we reached the gate of the packhouse. It was a large mansion, not much different from a human residence. It felt like being in the house of a president in a human country. The warriors paid no attention to my presence. Someone else was looking at me but it wasn't a big concern.

I couldn't help but overhear their conversation about the additional strength they felt. They mentioned becoming stronger after hearing a howl. Who was howling?

'I howled,' Nala's voice echoed in the back of my mind.

'You?' I asked, confused.

'You really don't know who you are, Sophia.'

'And you know who I am?'

'I have no idea. I just exist here with you like this. I have no idea where I came from. All I know is that I'm powerful.'

"Are you okay?" Borlan's voice interrupted my thoughts.

I gasped and looked at him, forcing a smile and nodding. "Y-Yes! I'm okay."