Chapter 30: Saving human friends

"Would you like to accompany me to the packhouse?" Eros asked, his eyes momentarily shifting from the road to meet mine. We were driving back to the pack village from Hildart, and as I watched the passing street lights, his question caught me off guard. I couldn't respond right away, feeling a surge of awkwardness wash over me, especially when he murmured, "I missed you..."

This was the part I struggled with. It felt like he was begging for my attention, even though my heart already belonged to him. But the awkwardness I felt told me that the problem was still with me.

'And I hate you too,' Nala chimed in, echoing my thoughts.

I sighed, choosing to ignore Nala's comment, and smiled at Eros. I wanted to surprise him, so I nodded and replied, "Sure, I missed you too."

Suddenly, he hit the brakes, pulling the car to the side of the road, and turned to me with excitement sparkling in his eyes, despite the darkness. "Really?"

I nodded. "Yes, I also want to fall asleep in your arms, Eros."

He chuckled and reached for my hand, gently caressing it. "Would you mind living in the packhouse with me? What if you try practicing to be Luna?"

His question left me momentarily stunned, but only for a moment. Squinting my eyes, I asked, "What exactly does Luna do again?"

He kissed my hand and replied, "She's always by my side, she gives me pups, and I want seven Alphas, regardless of gender."

I stared at his face, trying to hold back my laughter. I needed a sensible answer, but he responded with playful nonsense. "Ah, so you want to turn me into a pig and have me give birth to seven piglets all at once?"

He chuckled and said, "Just kidding." A moment of silence hung between us as he gazed ahead. Taking a deep breath, he spoke with seriousness, "The pack has been without a Luna for over two hundred years. The Elders have suggested numerous times that I simply find someone to become Luna, but I didn't want that. I waited until you were born."

My heart raced. My mother hadn't shared this information with me while she raised me before we moved to Auntie Elvie's house. I wanted to ask about the Guardian wolf he mentioned, but he continued, "I told the Elders that my mate was born, so I didn't need to search for a future Luna. I pointed out where you were, and when I returned with the Elders, you were no longer there. According to Fara, the Guardian wolf who sees the future, your mother took you, but she instructed her not to keep you away from me. I didn't know that your mother was the Omega I punished for going against our pack."

I averted my gaze as memories of my aunt's story flooded back. My mother had been exiled and had secretly lived with Auntie Elvie until I was six years old.

"I saw you again when you were around six or seven, I believe. Your aunt told me you were her cousin's daughter, but I didn't know you were the baby Fara had looked after. She pleaded with me to let you stay in the pack because you hadn't committed any sins like your mother. I agreed, until you reached your teenage years, and that's when I realized you were my mate."

Eros chuckled bitterly, looking away from me. "I didn't let the Elders know that my mate was growing up right under their noses. I hid the truth from them because I knew they wouldn't agree that you should be the Luna of our pack. To them, you were just the daughter of an omega with a rogue and they believed you didn't deserve to be Luna."

"But my wolf didn't emerge when I turned 18," I explained, referring to a significant event in the past.

Eros shook his head. "Actually, I was puzzled by that. You're a werewolf, and your parents are werewolves as well. It seemed impossible for you not to shift. However, when you turned 18 while working as my personal maid, I started sensing a strong energy from you. I informed the Elders about your situation, but I kept your identity hidden, so they remained unaware of who you truly were. They grew even more eager to meet you because they believed you might be the daughter of an Alpha, making you a suitable Luna."