Chapter 13; Human friends

I had a terrible past. When I was 15, my aunt sent me to the Litha Moon Pack to be a slave. The Alpha there was cruel, often mistreating omegas like me. I was fortunate that at the time, when his desires called for omegas to satisfy his lust, I wasn't chosen.

I stayed there for almost five months until Alpha Eros came and took me back to the former Gamma who had also enslaved me. The cruelty I endured was intense, and I lived that way for a year. I consider myself lucky in some ways because I still had the opportunity to attend school, where I learned to interact with humans.

The one thing that puzzles me is why the former Gamma was fired and no longer allowed in the packhouse. The Alpha doesn't even let him set foot there. I managed to escape the cruelty of the former Gamma only to end up serving the Alpha in the packhouse, but at least I could continue my studies.

The Alpha isn't cruel to me like the others, but I can't help but be afraid of him, especially when he's around. While in the packhouse, I found some respite from the abuse of high-ranking werewolves, but when I returned to my aunt's house, I experienced that cruelty again.

That's why the experiences I've had in the past are unrelated to the life I have now. It's especially strange for me to be sitting at a desk as a secretary, as I've never had the opportunity to study anything related to this. I've never dealt with professionals like the person Mr. Carbarin describes. From his description, I can tell that he is no ordinary businessman.

And this assignment he gave me is not easy.

"What are you thinking, Sophia?" I flinched when he spoke, my shoulders jerking upward. I had been looking at the papers in front of me, lost in thought.

"Are you thinking about how you're going to do your job?"

I slowly turned to look at him. He was busy unfolding paperwork and signing each one. He didn't even glance at me, but I knew he was still watching me.

"Remember, your friends' jobs depend on it. You wouldn't want Ethan and Bella to get fired, right?"

I looked away and sighed. I nodded slowly, even though he wasn't looking at me.

"Remember, out of the two of you—you and that human Carbarin—you're stronger and smarter. He's not that hard to convince. You're a werewolf, and he's only human."

I simply nodded and tried to avoid looking at him. I couldn't understand my own eyes. I couldn't look straight at him, but I couldn't help but look at him either.

'You know the answer, Sophia. Stop being foolish,' Nala scolded in my thoughts.

'Fine, fine, whateve.' I silently rolled my eyes.

But my thoughts were interrupted when he moved slightly, causing his scent to fill the air. I felt something indescribable.

"How was yesterday? Did you enjoy your birthday?"

His question made my heart seem to stop. I hadn't expected him to ask about my feelings regarding what he had prepared for me.

I swallowed nervously before nodding. "Y-Yes, Sir. I enjoyed it."

Nala interjected in my mind again, 'We love it.'

I scolded her silently.

Turning to the Alpha, I continued, "M-My aunt said that you ordered her to celebrate my birthday. I-I don't know why, but...b-but thank you!" I bowed slightly as a sign of respect. It was safe to do so since we were alone in the office.

"As I mentioned before, your life will change once you shifted," he continued, not pausing in his tasks. "You will be entrusted with new responsibilities, and your previous way of life will no longer persist."