Chapter 28: What a twist

I express my gratitude to the Moon goddess for rescuing me from a complex predicament. Mr. Dencio has grown closer to me and has become increasingly talkative about his daughter.

He shared that he had loved someone like us werewolves but was unaware of the existence of packs, as his late wife had never mentioned anything about them. The concept of a werewolf having a human mate is difficult forb him to understand. I am also curious to know which pack his wife belonged to, but unfortunately, she has passed away, and information about her is scarce.

When Mr. Dencio's daughter first shifted into her wolf form, Mr. Dencio was frightened that she might be seen in such a state. He kept her hidden in their mansion for nearly five months and dismissed their maids.

Their situation only returned to normal when his daughter revealed that she could communicate with her wolf. She informed him that her wolf could speak to her mind, which struck Mr. Dencio as peculiar.

I took the opportunity to explain to him why this occurred, and eventually, he came to understand. The mind of a wolf and the human body are distinct but unified in decision-making. That is why most werewolves can shift forms at will.

However, there are also werewolves who struggle to control their wolf side, just like some humans who can't control their thoughts and desisyons. In other words, they are considered abnormal.

"Sophia, this is too much! You don't have to take care of me just because I witnessed what you truly are. I can eat on my own. Thank you for your concern, but I can manage now," Mr. Dencio said, laughing and still appearing bashful.

I distanced myself from him, intending to assist him in getting up to eat, but he stopped me. His actions indicated that he was fine. I simply turned the table to face him and uncovered the food.

"Oh, it smells delicious," he chuckled, picking up the spoon.

"The omegas assigned to this hospital are excellent cooks, sir. Our Alpha's objective is to improve the condition of the patients within our pack."

He looked at me, staring for a moment. His eyes narrowed as if contemplating something. Then, he held the fork and gestured it towards me. "Is the Alpha like your king? Did I say that correctly? I mean leader." I nodded in understanding of his intended message. "I recall my wife mentioning that her father was an Alpha."

My eyes widened at his revelation, but I quickly regained composure without him noticing, and he proceeded to take a bite of the food. He even nodded approvingly after tasting it. "Hmm, this food is delicious."

I giggled and attentively listened to him as I noticed he was about to speak again. "I thought the Alpha was a specific type of werewolf, like a dog breed such as Poodle, Labrador, or Askal—" He stopped speaking when I cleared my throat slightly, as he had inadvertently compared us to dogs. "Oh, I apologize! I used a wrong example."

"I don't mind, sir!" I chuckled, attempting to appear genuine. "I understand what you mean. The Alpha is a position within a werewolf pack. Let's just say that the Alpha is akin to the president of the pack, but the selection process is not based on voting, as people are accustomed to. The Alpha is determined by strength, and the strongest individual assumes the role of Alpha."

His lips parted in awe, and he nodded. "So that means my wife was the daughter of a leader?"

I caught a whiff of Eros approaching. Suddenly, a sense of unease washed over me as I divulged information about the hierarchy to Mr. Dencio, but I didn't believe there was any immediate cause for alarm. "Precisely, sir. If only you knew which pack she belonged to, there is a possibility that your daughter would recognize her own identity. It is highly likely that she is also a formidable werewolf. Can you provide me with an idea of her size?"