Chapter 16: Change of treatment

As I confessed my feelings and accepted him as my mate, a wave of unease washed over me. I found myself growing increasingly uncomfortable, uncertain about how to proceed. Should I continue eating while ignoring his intense gaze, or should I meet his penetrating stare head-on?

The weight of the decision burdened my mind, leaving me in a state of uncertainty.

It felt as though he was carefully observing my every move as if he expected something from me. Yet, I couldn't help but feel awkward in responding to the situation.

The complexities of our relationship added to the discomfort of the moment, leaving me conflicted internally.

Transitioning from seeing myself as an omega or his former slave to accepting the role of his Luna and mate proved to be a challenging task. Acting differently to him was difficult due to my deep-rooted identification as an omega.

"What's your plan since I'm your mate?" he asked, catching me off guard.

I was stunned, my eyes fixed on the plate in front of me. It felt like time stood still as I focused all my attention on this ordinary object. Nervousness and anticipation coursed through me, making it hard to gather my thoughts. Meeting his intense gaze seemed like a daunting task, as if the weight of the world rested on that single moment. But deep down, I knew it was important to maintain eye contact. With a gulp, I mustered the courage to look at him, understanding that this small act held great significance for our connection.

With each beat of my heart, my pulse quickened. Despite the awkwardness of the situation, I had to provide him with an answer.

"S-Sir..." I faltered, tightly pressing my lips together and momentarily looking away. I repeated this pattern several times, alternating between looking at the table and meeting his gaze. Taking a deep breath, I tried to maintain eye contact. "I... I didn't expect this. I-I don't even know if...if you deserve me. I'm... I-I'm your former slave—"

"You're not my slave now, Sophia," he interjected, reminding me of the present circumstances. I wasn't his slave anymore. I worked for him, receiving a salary like others.

"Y-Yes, Alpha," I nodded, acknowledging our past dynamic when I had respected him as 'Alpha,' signifying my status as his slave at the time.

"Do you plan to reject me because you were my slave before? I didn't treat you like the other werewolves you served," he questioned.

I averted my gaze, contemplating his words. I had no intention of rejecting him, as it would be a challenge for both of us. Our wolves were intertwined, and separation would weaken us or prevent acceptance of another mate.

"I made you my slave because that was the only way I could save you from the cruel hands of other pack members. I refrained from claiming you as my mate at the time because I thought that if I did, what if they would kill you for my second chance mate? I don't want you to die," he explained, and he has a point. A werewolf could only have a second chance mate if their mate had passed away or they rejected the bond. As long as his mate lived, his heart wouldn't open to a second chance.

"About you, I kept it as a secret as they keep waiting for their Luna to appear. Especially since you are known as an omega, they might have doubted your suitability as Luna before, but now that they have witnessed how strong you are, everyone in the pack will accept you."

I put down my fork and knife and folded my hands under the table. So, does the fight between me and the warriors he that day mean that he showcased to the entire pack how powerful his Luna is?

"A-Ahm..." I don't know what to say anymore.

But he said, "I can be treated as the Alpha in the pack, but I don't fully trust my pack members. If I'm not by your side, I can't protect you if they try to harm you."