Chapter 20: Family

All the members of the pack kept their eyes on the three guests as we escorted them out of the packhouse. They claimed they just wanted to get to know me, but the Alpha's demeanor and the way he looked at them made it clear that he didn't trust them.

He stayed right beside me, never letting me stray far from his side. I could tell that he, just like me, sensed something big was about to happen. The visit of the Hybrid Wolves to our pack was only the beginning, and I couldn't predict what the next few days had in store for us. It was even possible that another group of beings might come to our territory, adding to the uncertainty of our future.

"Not just one breed, but an entire race of werewolves, felt the added strength within them. It happened just now," Beta said, speaking randomly. The guests finally departed, leaving only the pack members with high positions at the entrance of the packhouse. The Alpha took a long time to respond, his eyes squinting as if he was deep in thought.

This is only my 21st year of living in this world, and I haven't memorized the current events concerning werewolves. Alpha and Beta know better. Alpha has been alive for 300 years, while Beta is 281 years old. They have witnessed many events before I even came into existence. I still have much to learn about the history of our kind.

"In three centuries, this is the first time that a wolf shift has released extra power to any race of werewolves. I have a strong feeling that the moon goddess wants to convey something to us," the Alpha said, taking a deep breath. "She has made an Omega the key."

My lips slightly parted as my muscles trembled with the tension caused by the Alpha's words regarding me. While others might consider it lucky, it feels like me and Nala facing a serious task.

"But why?" Beta faced the Alpha, wondering as he asked, "She's just the daughter of an Omega from a rogue pack?"

"I can sense more than just an Omega in her. How can you reduce her to being just the daughter of an Omega from a rogue pack?"

Beta looked down, his expression betraying the strength of the Alpha's words. "Forgive me, Alpha."

"We've discussed this, Algie. I was hoping you would come to accept it."

I averted my gaze and humbly lowered my head in a gesture of respect. I could sense Beta's penetrating stare fixed upon me, causing a shiver to run down my spine. The atmosphere was charged with tension, making my heart skip a beat. The way the Alpha spoke implied that Beta still harbored doubts about me, and his acceptance of my presence seemed compelled by his subordinate position to the Alpha.

"Alpha, you have made a decision. Whatever you decide, I will follow," replied Beta, firmly establishing their stance.

"Good." The Alpha nodded slowly, his expression tinged with sadness. "I hope that you will not only follow my decisions as a Beta, but also accept what I want in life as my friend or cousin."

I wasn't present during their conversation, but I had a sense that they were discussing my role as the Luna.

-

Regardless of the Alpha's high position, he humbled himself when he brought me to our house. It was surprising because, in the past, my cousins Cathy and Khate were the ones who often caused rumors to spread in the pack about me. But this time, it wasn't them but other pack members, including omegas, who treated me differently.

Although I wanted to ignore the change in how my aunt and cousins treated me, I couldn't help but notice it. Two omegas took care of my belongings and moved them to a bigger room, which my aunt said would be mine from now on. I understood that it was an order from the Alpha, and I appreciated that my aunt spoke to me normally, while my two female cousins seemed shy in their interactions with me.