Chapter 15: Mate

"What happened?"

I gulped, taken aback by Mr. Carbarin's question, as if he didn't remember what had transpired. My heart raced rapidly. It wasn't that I was afraid of him, but rather, I was afraid that he might spread what he saw in me on social media. But judging by his reaction and the furrowed brows, it seemed like he had no recollection of what had truly happened.

What was going on? Why did he seem oblivious to what he had done on the paper, especially the way he looked at the folder in front of him? His brows remained furrowed.

"Y-You signed the contract, sir," I managed to speak calmly, trying to hide my stutter. If he didn't remember what I had done earlier, I considered myself lucky. Indeed.

"I signed the contract?" He continued to furrow his brows seemingly wanting to repent because his signature was already on the paper and he couldn't deny it.

"Yes," I replied composedly gesturing to the paper and smiling at him. "As you can see on the paper, it's your signature and nothing else. You're the only one with a signature like that, out of the two of us here."

He stared at the paper, but his attention seemed elsewhere, as if he were trying to recall how he had signed it. Based on the situation i could only deduce one thing. I had the ability to hypnotize a human.

"O-Okay, right. This is my signature, yes. Yeah, please tell your boss we will meet tomorrow morning, around 9:30 am," he said, motioning me out of his office and taking a deep breath. He looks scared.

At 7:00 pm, I found myself standing in front of Alpha, watching him flip through each page of the contract in the folder. I observed every movement of his eyes from the top of the paper to the bottom, realizing that he was scrutinizing every part signed by Mr. Carbarin.

When he reached the last page, he looked at me. I couldn't discern his thoughts, but from the way he glanced at me and the paper, it seemed like he was questioning how I had succeeded in handling the job.

"Do you believe you deserve to be a secretary?" he asked, causing me to gulp and almost lose my balance.

For me, since I had done my job, especially considering it was no easy task dealing with that perverted client, I believed I deserved to be a secretary. But I wasn't sure if I had done enough to prove my worth to him.

"I-I am willing to perform my job diligently, sir. B-But it's up to you whether you choose to keep me as your secretary or find someone else," I stammered, avoiding his uncomfortable gaze by looking down at the floor.

"From what I know about Mr. Carbarin, he has a reputation for pursuing secretaries. Often, the allure of female secretaries is what entices other companies to collaborate with his business," he stated, causing me to slowly raise my head and meet his gaze. I recalled Mr. Carbarin's perverted behavior. My lips parted as Alpha folded the folder and placed it to the side, rising to his feet. He slid his hand into his pocket and took a step closer to me.

I couldn't withstand the intensity as he leaned over me, parting my hair to expose my neck. It felt as if he were peering into my soul, his breath brushing against my cheek. I fought against the urge to gulp as I clenched my fist, our eyes locking.

I couldn't comprehend my own feelings as my heart raced faster. I couldn't deny to myself that I was drawn to his intoxicating scent. My instincts begged me to taste his lips, but I resisted and took a step back when he spoke again. "Did you give him something to make him sign the contract? Tell me the truth, Sophia. Did you kiss him?"

'Of course not!' Nala yelled at the back of my head.

I struggled to answer him, still affected by our previous encounter, but I realized that he wasn't referring to my power, but rather to my personal efforts that he was questioning.