Chapter 1

~~~

~~~

Today is Monday. The beginning of a new week. And for me, also the beginning of a new job.

I have been working in the Child Abduction and Serial Murders Investigations Unit of the FBI for the last 7 years, and was promoted to Unit Chief 2 years ago.

About a month ago I received an email saying that the Behavior Analysis Unit Chief, SSA Aaron Hotchner, is stepping down for a 6-month period due to personal reasons.

The position was open for any person close to the department. The candidates had to complete a 60-hour course, pass an exam and then be interviewed and assessed by SSA Hotchner himself.

Last week I was informed that I got the position and was starting as soon as possible. I will work under SSA Hotchner's supervision for a month and then I'll take over. My transfer will last 7 months in total and after that I can either return to my old unit and position or get demoted from Unit Chief and stay in the BAU.

I will most likely return to my old position but, of course, I didn't tell him that when he asked during my interview. I didn't work my ass off for 5 years just to get demoted again.

I see my transfer as some time off from Child cases. I am aware that there will still be some of them here too but not everyday. The things I've seen during the last 7 years... I honestly don't know how I haven't lost my mind yet.

And now I will have to start analyzing their minds. I have worked with the BAU and more specifically SSA Hotchner for consultations on a couple of children abduction cases in the past. But I have never met his team.

So first impression is important. It takes less than a couple of seconds for a person to form an opinion based on physical appearance, body language, attitude, clothes and mannerisms.

Am I anxious? Always. But I got this.
Fake it until you make it, right?

"For how much longer are you going to stay in there, Lex?" my sister yells from the other side of the bathroom door.

I unlock the door and I walk out
"Last time I checked, this was my apartments" I remind her

"Yeah, whatever" she replies as she gets in the bathroom.

I chuckle and I return to my room. I take one more look in the mirror and I fix my clothes. Navy blue paperbag trousers, a white t-shirt tucked in and a matching navy blue blazer on top. I roll up the sleeves of the blazer to my elbows and I wear a silver watch on my left hand.

I let my ginger copper hair fall wavy on my shoulders and the top of my breasts.
I put on my black heels, I pick up my briefcase and I am ready to leave.
"Ev, lock on your way out" I shout to my sister

"Nah, I think I'll stay for today. Is that ok?" she asks

"Sure. Don't break anything"

"Ok. Bye"