Chapter 17

~~~

~~~

His POV
Not only Daniel was involved, he was the leader of a three people group. His confidence and cockiness towards Lexie showed us that he is the dominant from the beginning.

Within the same day, we were able to find their names and Garcia gave us a location. We arrested them on the spot and we found the missing 5-month-old baby girl.

So we gathered our things and got ready for an overnight flight back to Quantico. Lexie offered to stay with the baby until her grandparents arrived from Kansas, so I gathered also her things and went back to pick her up.

"Is Agent Barnes still here?" I ask an officer. He directs me to one of the interview rooms.

There she is. Sitting on the couch with the baby on her legs. I put my hands in my pockets and I rest against the door frame.

"Hey" she says as soon as she sees me with a huge smile across her face

"Hey..." I reply

She looks at the baby again. "Baby girl, this is Aaron. He doesn't smile much but he is smiling now. You must be a lucky girl" she says in a baby voice, causing me to laugh.

She is holding the baby's hands and she is playing with her. Lexie pretends to sneeze and she laughs. Lexie does it again and she laughs even more.

I walk to them and I sit next to Lexie. She makes her laugh again and I smile as I look at them.

"Do you want one of these some day?" I ask.

Lexie freezes and her smile disappears.

Her POV
"No. I really don't" I answer after a long pause

"Oh..." is the only thing he says

"Yeah...".
"And that won't change. Just so you know" I add

"I get it. Too much time and pressure from work already. And I can't imagine what you could've seen during your 7 years in children cases" he replies

"Exactly. Thank you". He smiles in response but it is not very convincing. However, I let it go and within the next hour we are in the airport.

"Agent Barnes, a word please" Strauss says as we get on the jet. I nod and I follow her to the back.
"Agent, I am pleased with the team's performance and I wanted to thank you for not letting our personal issues get in the way of the investigation"

"I appreciate it but that's because I respect every victim we come across. It does not mean that I have forgiven you" I reply

"I wish you didn't feel that way"

"And I wish you hadn't sent me and my partner undercover to die in the hands of a madman"

"I never would--"