Chapter 13

~~~

~~~

I did my best to focus on the case today. I tried to forget about the situation in Pakistan but it was nearly impossible.

Around 7 pm, I told everyone to go home, get some rest and that we'll continue tomorrow. But I stayed in my office, looking at the phone, waiting for it to ring.

He's fine. He is just unavailable right now. He's got responsibilities there and he needs to take care of them. He'll call whenever he has time. He is good. He is fine.

A knock on the door pulls me out of my mind. "Come in" I answer.
It's Emily.

"I didn't see you eat today so brought food" she says as she sets a bag on the coffee table

"Thank you. I forgot..." I admit

"Yes, I figured. And don't worry, Rossi is on the bill" she replies as I join her.

We sat there for about an hour and she tried to take my mind off of what was happening but I kept cycling back to Aaron.

What's taking him so long!?

"She's right here with me" Rossi says in the phone as he enters my office

"Who... Who are you talking to?" I ask, a bit scared for the answer.

He gives me the phone "Yes?"

"Happy birthday, beautiful" my heart almost stops.

"Aaron..." I breathe out relieved as I bury my face in my palms

"Yes, it's me. I'm ok" he says

"You're ok. You're ok..." I repeat, trying to calm myself down while Emily rubs my back

"I am. I'm sorry if I scared you"

"If...?" I note and he almost chuckles.
"You're ok? Fully ok?" I ask

"A few bruises and a minor concussion. But I'm fine, I promise". I listen to him talk as I hold the phone in my hand.

"Do you need a minute?" Emily suggests. I nod and they both leave the office, closing the door behind them.

"First, you tell me to go out, celebrate my birthday and then you do this? Maybe it's a sign from the universe that I don't need to celebrate" I say and he laughs

"I'm really sorry. I would never want to hurt or scare you"

"I know. I know...".