Chapter 35

~~~

~~~

Since I returned from the hospital, Aaron started being overprotective. I get why he is doing it but it really pisses me off when he doesn't let me do anything.

I am supposed to spend 4 weeks at home because despite the overdose, I had a broke rib that probably happened during CPR. So we agreed that I'm going to work from home for that period, but I'm pretty sure Aaron is taking over part of my job and giving me the easy stuff.

If it were anybody else, I might not had a problem with it since it gives me more free time, but he has plenty of work to do himself. When he gets back from cases or from the office, he's constantly exhausted and I feel really guilty about it.

To take my mind off, I got into redecorating the house, picking paint colors off magazines, looking new furniture, and some times change the placement of our already existing furniture. Aaron gets mad at the last thing because he doesn't want me to lift heavy things and get tired.

However, the doctor said that I should avoid any activity that brings me pain and moving furniture doesn't hurt much. It is also important to walk around and move my shoulders to prevent mucus from building up in my lungs, so that's why Aaron found me standing on the counter and cleaning the kitchen cabinets the other day.

It's been 3 weeks and it finally started to feel like my home. I love it. And I'm feeling a lot better both emotionally and physically. My ribs only hurt when I'm laying on my stomach, or I laugh very hard; which I discovered tonight during dinner.

We hadn't celebrated our new place yet, so I invited our friends over. Aaron was a bit skeptical at first because of the Welker situation but since he didn't kill me when I was alone, he won't take his chance when the apartment is full of FBI Agents. He is a psychopath, but he is not stupid.

The BAU and Child Abductions finally met. I'm not going to lie, at first it felt like me and Aaron brought our kids from previous marriages to meet each other. As time passed and conversation began, everyone warmed up and we had an amazing time.

When most of the guests left, Aaron offered to help me clean by bringing the dishes from the dinner table to the kitchen as I rinse and place them in the dishwasher.

Halfway through, Emily joins me in the kitchen. "No, no, you're a guest, you're not helping" I speak before her

"I just needed to get away from the balcony" she says

"Why?" I chuckle

"Because I think Derek and Zoe are about to start making out, and if I see that I'm going to throw up" she explains

"So you left them alone out there?" I ask

"It's not like they're going to fall off. Don't worry, Derek is trained" she answers and I laugh.

Then Aaron comes back
"These are the last. Why don't you go sit in the living room while I put the rest in the dishwasher?" he suggests

"I got this" I reassure him

"I know. But you cooked and did everything else today, go sit down" he insists and kisses my cheek as he takes my place.

"Fine" I give up and I force a smile to my face. I kiss him and I follow Emily to the living room.

"Wow, I'm really third wheeling tonight" Emily complains

"Sorry" I chuckle.
"He's been like that since the incident" I explain in a low voice as we sit down so he wouldn't hear. I had my back to the kitchen anyway.

"Well, it's understandable. I can't imagine it would be easy for anyone to had been in his place. Your significant other going into cardiac arrest in your arms and then you have to perform CPR on them..."

"Woah... what did you say?" I ask confused

"What? About the significant other? Come on. Who doesn't see it?".

"No, the other part. Emily, I passed out and then someone called for help"

"Yes, he called"

"No, he wasn't there"

"Of course he was. You called him because you weren't feeling well"

"I remember that. But after, he probably went back..."

"I was there, Lexie. He called me to bring help and we found him doing chest compressions. Ask Morgan who had to rip him off of you so the medical staff could take over"

"Oh my God..." I whisper as I bury my face in my hands.
"Thank you for telling me. Really, thank you"

"I'm just glad you're ok" she says as she squeezes my hand.

"Ladies and gentleman..." Derek speaks as he comes inside
"...thank you for the incredible meal and company. I had an amazing time and I'm looking forward to the next get together. But for now, I think I'm ready to sleep. Wishing you the best"

"Thank you" both Aaron and I reply. He walks to the door and I take a look at Zoe who is stealing glimpses at him still.

"Come on Zo, just go with him" I say. Derek freezes and looks at me and Emily.

"You're not the only profiler in here, buddy" Emily reminds him.

Eventually, they leave together and Emily does too after a few minutes. As soon as they do, I change into my pyjamas and I get in bed.

Aaron comes too and starts changing in front of me. Waiting for him, I grab my phone

'I just saw them making out in his car. I'm both grossed out and convinced that I'm going to die alone'
Emily had texted me shortly after she left.

I laugh and I shake my head as I write a reply to her.
"What is it?" Aaron asks as he gets in bed with me

"Nothing, just Emily being Emily" I answer and I leave my phone in the nightstand again.

I am still sitting with my back against the headboard, when I turn to him. He looks me in the eyes and I smile.

"Why didn't you tell me that you were there?" I ask softly.

He understands immediately what I'm talking about.
"I didn't want you to worry about me" he admits, looking down

"Aaron, I worry about you all the time. The late nights in the office, the overprotection... You're overworking because you feel guilty. Which makes me feel guilty" I explain as I rub his cheek

"No, it shouldn't. I just want to take care of you"

"And I want you to take care of yourself first. I've been taking care of myself just fine, and you have to trust me on that". He closes his eyes and leans into my touch.
"I'm right here, because of you. You saved me"

"No, the paramedics brought you back. I was probably the one who broke your rib" he argues

"Even if you did, you know that means you were doing CPR correctly. And if you weren't there, I may not have been here now"

"Please don't say that" his voice shakes.

I wrap my arms around his shoulders and I hold him. I kiss him and I rub his back. He holds me tightly and I can feel his tears on my shoulder.

"I'm here. I'm ok" I remind him.
"We're both going to be ok and we will take down the son of a bitch who did this. He won't win"

"He'll never win" he agrees.

"That's right. But first, you have to promise me that you'll think of yourself first. No more doing my work for me, no more treating me like I'm fragile"

"I promise" he replies

"Good. Because I missed having rough sex" I say and he laughs.