Chapter 32

~~~

~~~

Zoe dropped me home late that night. My legs are still shaking as I walk upstairs to my door and I don't let go of my gun.

I take my keys out and I start unlocking my door. "It's me, Lexie" I say before opening the door.

As expected, I find Aaron holding his gun behind the door. All the curtains are drawn and the lights are off.
"Good thing you announced yourself" he says as he lets the gun down

"Where is Ev?" I ask

"I told her to lock herself in the bathroom when I heard the lock" he answers

"Good. Ev!" I call and she comes out. I rush to her and I hug her.

"What's happening, Lex?" she asks

"I need you to take a gap year and go under witness protection"

"What?" she chuckles

"I'm afraid that someone from my past is coming for me and I don't want you to get hurt"

"Lexie-" Aaron comes closer

"No, I'll talk with you later. Now, I need to get her somewhere safe" I interrupt him

"I don't want to leave to a strange city, with a new name and alone" Ev says

"Please. My supervisor and the director are putting together programs for all of the families. I wouldn't ask you if I wasn't sure" I insist.

"Lexie, who's after you?" Aaron asks

"I can't tell you that, this whole situation is classified" I answer to him.
"Ev, I'll have a team follow you to get your things from your dorm and you're gone"

"I... I can't just leave" she says with tears in her eyes

"Evelyn, I spend the last 21 years doing the best for you. I wouldn't be asking you this if it wasn't necessary" I explain.

"If I say yes, will we talk?" she asks

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry". She nods and hugs me. A tear escapes my eye but I wipe it quickly.

"When do I have leave?" she asks

"They are waiting for us in the bureau right now. They'll brief you about your new life, everything is mostly set up" I answer.

She nods and wipes her tears.
"Ok, ok..." she finally says.

After that, two other Agents took her to collect her things and Aaron and I stayed alone.

He doesn't say anything. Instead, he walks to me and wraps his arms around me. I grab tightly onto him and he rubs my back.

I want to get him into protective custody as well but he would never accept that.