Chapter 43

~~~

~~~

He went to sleep while I went through the offers that Strauss gave me earlier. They are all good offers... Too good actually, which makes the decision even harder. Maybe I'll let Aaron have a look as well and give me an opinion.

It was afternoon when he wakes up and comes out of the room. He rubs his eyes and brushes his fingers through his hair as he joins me on the couch where I was watching TV. I let him lay down and put his head on my lap. He closes his eyes again as he rubs my leg. I chuckle and I kiss his head.

I proceed to play with his hair as he stays in that position.
"Are you watching Daredevil again?" he asks, identifying it just by hearing it

"Yes" I answer.
"In case you haven't noticed, hot dark-haired lawyers in suits are exactly my type" I whisper in his ear.

A smile appears across his lips as he opens his eyes and turns his head to look at me.
"I love you" he says

"I love you too" I reply and I lean down to kiss him.
"How would you feel if this was everyday? You going to work and me staying at home?" I ask

"Why are you asking me this?" he asks, remaining in the same position on my lap

"The bureau offered me retirement" I finally say. He blinks a few times and then sits up.

"And do you want to take it?" he wonders.

"They also offered me Assistant Director with a debatable salary" I add

"And you don't know what to do..." he guesses.
"As much as I'd love to give you an opinion, this is your decision and I don't want to affect you before you form your plan" he says

"I was thinking you'd say that" I admit.

"Judging by my months as Section Chief, I know I'll hate Assistant Director. I'm sure the paycheck will be big, but I can not deal with all the politics and the anxiety of which one of the people around me is going to stab me in the back any minute. I need people I can trust and you can't trust anyone there. Everyone has their own agenda" I express my opinion

"Alright, so Assistant Director is out and you don't have to feel bad or defend your decision to anybody. What's left?"

"Retirement and Child Abductions. That's something I'll need more time weighting"

"Are you seriously thinking of not going back? You?" he asks surprised but not in a judgy way

"I don't know. Bad guys will always do bad things. There is always going to be more and more to do..."

"Yes, but we already knew that. Look, I don't want you to make a decision right now that you'd regret. Maybe you're seeing it like that now because you're still resting and recovering" he suggests

"Maybe... I really don't know. I should wait more, right? I have four weeks to decide"

"Then yes, you have plenty on time to think about it" he kisses my head

"I do..." I say and I kiss his lips.

He tries to pull away but I pull him closer. He deepens the kiss and for a moment, I forget everything else.

"You know what the doctor said" he says as he pulls away

"I hate it. Don't do anything that will get you out of breath and raise your heart rate. We can't make out, we can't have sex, I can't even masturbate. Gosh... I miss sex" I complain, causing him to laugh.

He kisses me once again and lays back on my lap. I play with his hair as we watch TV and occasionally I kiss him.

"This is it. This is what I missed most about us working in two different departments. I missed you" I admit

"I missed this too, love" he kisses me.

Later, we had dinner and I went in the shower before bed. I take about an hour and a half in the shower nowadays due to all the aftercare my wounds need.

Aaron went out when I got in the shower because I was craving something sweet after dinner and we didn't have anything here.
I hope he is back already.

I open the bathroom door and I notice rose petals on the floor. I call his name but he doesn't answer. So I follow the petals and I get to the balcony. Outside, there are candles on the table in the shape of a heart and inside it is a box of with all my favorite sweets.

"They are all for you. You can take whatever you want from there" he tells me as we approaches from behind me

"Aaron, what are you doing?" I ask as I turn to him.
Shit, I think I know exactly what he's doing.

He even changed into a nicer outfit; back pants, white dress shirt with rolled up sleeves. Meanwhile, I'm in my pyjamas with wet hair from the shower.

He takes my hands and kisses me once.
"I have been beating myself up for so long in order to come up with the most romantic and unique idea anyone has ever come up with on how I'm going to do this. But earlier you said the magic words. 'This is it'. Us. That's all we need.

"So I'm done waiting for some perfect opportunity, I'm more than ready to do this. I love you so much, Lexie. You are the strongest and the most caring person I've ever met. You are the person that can always lifts me up. The only one I want to see on my worst days, because you make me feel better just by being there. You make me feel like the happiest and luckiest man in the world even when life isn't treating us so good.

"And whatever happens, wherever we are tomorrow, next week, next year... The one thing I know for sure is that I want you there with me. I love you and I want to spend every day of my life with you".

He lets go of my hands and kneels in front of me. I can't stop my tears from falling as he opens the small box in front of me.
"Alexandra Jessica Barnes, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?" he asks

"A million times yes" I answer without hesitation.

I pull him up and we kiss.
"I don't need fancy. I just need you. This is the best" I reassure him

"I'm happy to hear that" he replies and kisses me again.

He slides the ring in my finger and I take a look at it.
Of course, he didn't get just a diamond ring. He got me my birthstone which is my favorite purple rock and it's in the shape of a water drop. Around it are ten small diamonds (five on each side) in oval shape, like leaves. And the band itself is rose gold, like most of my jewelry.

"I love this ring. And I love you" I say and I kiss him.
"However, I would appreciate a little heads up so I wouldn't be just out of the shower" I complain

"No, you look perfect" he says and I melt as he kisses me. He doesn't stay long on my lips, so I would take a few breaths and moves to my neck.

"Whenever we get the green light, I promise I'm going to give you the best orgasms of your life" he whispers and kisses my neck

"I'll be dreaming about that until then".