Chapter 24

~~~

~~~

"Ev?" I call as I get home

"Kitchen" she answers and I go to find her. She has her laptop, a few books and notebooks spread on the table.

"Back to school, huh?" I tease her

"Very funny" she replies.

"Can you take a small break? We need to discuss something" I ask

"Sure. What's up?" she asks, letting her pen down.

"Aaron asked me to move in with him... And I said yes" I inform her

"Oh my God, that's great! You didn't even move in with James when you were engaged"

"Yes, I remember. But the thing is... I feel bad that I have to leave you behind"

"Leave me behind? No, I'll be fine, don't worry about me"

"Don't worry about you? Have you met me?".

She chuckles. "I have my dorm, and I should be there right now. Your place has been an extra for me and yes, some times I abuse your kindness. But I'll be ok".

"Maybe we can find you a smaller place and I will pay--"

"No, no. I think it's time I get out of your feet"

"Don't say that. I love you Ev"

"I know, but I also understand that you hadn't had it easy. I guess it's time for me to grow up too. If I want another place, I will get a job myself like everyone else".

"Are you sure? Maybe you can come over--"

"No. I'm 21. I will try to figure my life out. And you should move forward. Go do what feels right for you".

"This feels right. The way I feel about Aaron, I haven't felt it with anyone else, not even with James. But some times that scares me because if it doesn't work out, it won't be pretty"

"Will you ever stop being so pessimistic with relationships?"

"No, because if I expect it, it won't hurt as much"

"That's a terrible moto to go by. You should try just enjoying it instead. Stop being so insecure that he'll leave you"

"Well, it doesn't quite work like that. I could get into detail about childhood trauma but I'll waste too much of your studying time"

"Ha ha" she says ironically.
"So, when is the move happening?" she asks

"I don't know. We agreed on looking for an apartment. We are both spending days away from home due to work and so it'll be easier to maintain. We have an appointment with a real estate agent on Monday, and we're hoping we'll both be there" I explain

"Good luck, sis".

After that I went for a shower and then straight to sleep. Aaron and I had made plans to go for breakfast together on Saturday morning and I could use the sleep until then.

The following morning, I was pretty lazy so I stayed in bed for a bit longer. Until Aaron texted me that he arrived and waiting for me outside. I jumped off the bed, got dressed and was out the door in less than 10 minutes.

As soon as I walk out, I find him a few feet away from the door talking on the phone.
Maroon Polo, black jeans, sun glasses on his head, big Rolex on the hand he is holding the phone...
Fuck, he's hot!

He smiles at me and ends the conversation quickly while I get closer to him.
"Good morning" he says and kisses me as he puts his phone in his pocket

"Good morning. I'm sorry I'm late. I was still in bed"

"Sleeping in late?" he asks as he takes my hand

"Kind of" I chuckle.

We walk holding hands without any hurry. It's Saturday, we have the day off, and I'm praying nothing will come up.

"What are you thinking about?" Aaron asks.

I shake my head. "I talked with Ev last night about moving. She thinks she'll be ok without me"

"That's good. But you won't be gone completely. It will be your home too" he reminds me.

"Yeah. So last night, until I fell asleep, I was thinking about what I want in our place"

"I'm listening"

"My biggest request is probably an open concept kitchen living room. I don't want the living room and the kitchen to be separated because I always had this image in my mind that when you walk in, you see the living room, the big dining table or kitchen island, and the kitchen. All of that showered in sun light" I explain, moving my hands all along. "What do you think?"

"I'm good with it" he answers

"What about you?".

During breakfast we went on every detail we could think of regarding how we wanted our place to be. I was afraid that maybe we had too many requirements but I have a good feeling about this. Actually, he makes me feel so confident about everything.

But on Monday morning, we were both leaving Quantico. I left for Louisiana and he left for Ohio. So we had to postpone our first meeting with the real estate agent. Thankfully, he is a friend of Aaron's and understood the situation.

I was back in my place by midnight, but Aaron was still in Ohio. He called me as soon as he got to the hotel for the night, to apologize for not being able to be back yet.

The thing is, I don't blame him. I know this job as much as he does. I get the long hours, unexpected calls, etc. But he still feels guilty for being away, no matter how many times I tell him that I am not mad or annoyed by it.

This is his biggest insecurity; not being enough and feeling guilty for his priorities.

Honestly, I want to blame his ex-wife for this, but I can also understand her place and that she wanted more attention. I just wish she hadn't looked elsewhere for that attention and then proceeded to leave him out of nowhere.

That's why now he's working double to please me which makes me feel bad.
He's trying to be as good as he can as fast as he can because he knows that any minute the phone is going to ring and our time is up.
He told me that the other day.

I hate seeing him exhaust himself because of it some times. I'm hoping that when we move in together, I'll be able to get him to relax properly. Because I'm not leaving him and I will keep reminding him of that every day I see his face wake up next to me.