the 30th ( part two )

There she is.

My mom.

My mama.

My lifeline.

Just laying there, unconscious, completely helpless. A tube in her mouth, going down her throat, wires everywhere just like Hunt told me only minutes before.

I drop to my knees, crying every single tear out of me. I didn't think it would be this hard. She's hurt, and all because she was trying to protect me. If I had shielded her instead of the other way around, she'd be awake right now. Maybe she would've gotten away with only a small concussion like I did.

After a few minutes of just sobbing on the floor, I pick myself up and go to ask Amelia if I can lay down with my mom. She says yes and helps me find a way to lay down with her without messing up any of the wires or anything before leaving again and shutting the door, giving me and my mom some privacy.

"I'm so sorry, mama. It's all my fault," I cry into her whilst holding her hand.

My sobbing is abruptly interrupted by slight coughing. What? Is she...? Oh my god, she's waking up! "Mom? Amelia!" I call out and the two doctors come running in and see my mom's struggle with the tube. Hunt comes over and helps remove it, Amelia then offers her some water to help soothe her throat.

"Y/N/N?" she says groggily.

"I'm here. I'm here, mama. I'm so, so sorry, it's all my fault, I'm sorry." I'm crying hysterically at this point.

"No, detka," she says as she turns to face me. "It's not your fault, my love."

I nod, not fully believing what she's saying but deciding to drop it for now.

"The guy... who drove into us. He's been put in jail for drunk driving," I explain to her.

"Good," she replies simply. "Are you okay? How badly did you get hurt?" This woman. She's just been in surgery for hours and is now in the ICU, and yet she still makes me her first priority.

"I'm completely fine. Just a small concussion. You protected me," I look up to her with grateful eyes. She'll never know how thankful I am for her.

"That's what I'm supposed to do, you doofus. I'm your mom," she says to me like I'm dumb.

"Shut up," I laugh.

For the next few minutes, I cling onto her tightly whilst her doctors are called to explain her injuries. I know Doctor Grey explained them all to me earlier but I was too scared to listen. I never realized how much damage was actually done, and that's probably why I'm crying again after hearing it all.

"Oh, honey," mama starts, "It's okay, I'm okay, see? It's all alright now, it's over."

It's over. It's all over. Everything is okay. I'm fine, mom's fine.

-

Those are the words I keep repeating to myself over the weeks as I'm waiting for her to recover. I got discharged the day after the accident since my injuries weren't severe. I didn't want to leave my mom but I had to. She couldn't be discharged for a while because they've had to monitor her closely so aunt Wanda came to stay with me to take care of me and to drive me to the hospital to visit mom every day.

After what feels like forever, my mom is finally back home but has been told to take it easy and I'm sure as hell gonna make sure she does. I'll take on every chore there is to ensure that she won't have to get up. I'll do the cooking, cleaning, laundry and everything else.

"Y/N?" mom calls me over to the couch, I sit down next to her, cuddling into her. Oh yeah, that's another thing, I've become extremely clingy to her since the accident. I don't think she minds, though. I can tell she likes knowing that I'm safe with her, too.

"What's up?" I ask her.

"Well.. it's been a few weeks since the accident, and we haven't really spoken about it yet." Oh. That's what she wants. I've been trying to avoid this.

"Uhh, maybe later," I try to brush it off and stand up but she pulls me back down.

"Love, come on." She gives me the 'mom look', meaning there's no getting out of this.

I sigh before deciding to give in and just get it over with. "I..." I start. I can't seem to get any words out. "I don't... I don't know what you want me to say," I admit.

My mom just nods at me. She knew it wasn't gonna be easy. "Okay. I'll start. I remember you said you were scared. Well, so was I."

I look up to meet her eyes. I can see that she really wants me to talk about this.

So that's what we do. We spend the rest of the day talking about how scary it was for us. There are a few tears exchanged, some laughs too as the result of a few sarky comments on my part. Making jokes in sad situations is how I cope.

After the long conversation, we're both exhausted and ready to get some sleep. I'm laying in my bed, just staring at the ceiling.

When mom was still in the ICU, Wanda let me sleep in her bed with her holding me. It was the only way I could relax so now having no one feels wrong. I decide I'm not gonna get any rest if I don't have anyone holding me so I make my way to mom's room to see that she's awake, as well.

"Hey. Are you okay?" she asks me.

"Yeah, I just... can I stay with you tonight?"

"Of course you can, baby," she agrees. She opens her arms out for me and I lay down next to her, snuggling into her chest. "I have a feeling this is gonna be happening a lot now."

"Yep," I confirm. "Night, mama. I love you."

"I love you too, my detka. Sweet dreams."