i wanna be your girlfriend

age: 16

-

Y/N's POV

The past couple months, me and this girl in my english class have gotten pretty close. Her name's America. America Chavez.

At first it started with her just being sat next to me on her first day at my school, that was 2 months ago. Then, it moved on to us hanging out a lunch, and eventually we started hanging out after school too. Now we're practically best friends.

"Hey, spider," she says as she sits down in her usual place next to me. I roll my eyes at the nickname, no matter how many times I've told her to not use it, she does anyway. Unfortunately I can't come up with a good one for her, which means I can't tease her back.

I must admit though, I feel a small flutter in my stomach when she uses it. That's happened a few times now and I can't figure out why. Have I considered the possibility that I might like America more than a friend? Yes. But am I gonna say anything? No. I don't want to risk ruining our friendship over some stupid feelings. I'm straight anyway, I don't like girls.

"Hi! How are you?" I reply with a soft smile.

"Uh... not great. I just found out yesterday that my grandma died, so I have to head back to Mexico for her funeral."

"Oh, I'm sorry. When are you heading off?"

That really sucks that she's not gonna be here for a little while.

"This afternoon, after school. I'll be gone for a week," she explains in a sorrowful tone.

"I'm gonna miss you."

"I'll miss you too, but I can still call you when I'm over there. We'll keep in contact."

-

After America and I said our goodbyes, she left to go back home and I also set off back to mine and mom's apartment.

"Hey, bubba! How was school?" she asks as soon as I walk through the door and an intense wave of sadness overwhelms me before I have to stifle a sob. My eyes still watered though, and so mom was still able to see I was upset. "Detka? What's wrong, my love?"

Before I know it, a strong pair of arms are being thrown around me and are holding me tight.

"Okay, okay, shh, it's alright. Mama's got you. Whatever it is, it's gonna be okay."

NATASHA's POV

I have no idea what's gotten her so worked up - there have been very few times I've seen her this upset.

Once she's had the chance to calm herself down, she quickly composes herself and stands up to walk to the couch, me following close behind. Soon enough, we're both sat down on the soft fabric and Y/N is wiping her tears on her sleeve.

"Baby, don't do that. Here," I say and hand her a tissue from the tissue box that was conveniently on the table beside me.

"Thank you," she says and takes it from me.
"I'm sorry about... that," she gestures to the area of floor where she broke down.

"Hey, it's alright. You never have to apologize for your emotions, sweetheart. But I would like to know what's going if that's okay? It's clear that something's upsetting you."

"It's nothing, it's stupid. America's going back to Mexico for a week, her grandmother died and that's where the funeral is."

Ah. America. They've gotten very close recently and not that Y/N has said anything, but I'm almost certain that she likes her as more than a friend. The way her eyes light up every time she talks about her gives it away.