i love you so

age: 15

reader isn't nat's daughter

-

NATASHA's POV

"Natasha! Wait up!" I hear a voice call through the empty halls of the school.

Everyone should be in class right now, and only one student calls me by my first name. So I already know who it is.

"Y/N. Hey, love. Why aren't you in class?" I ask the teen as she catches up to me and slows to a walk.

"Need to talk," she mumbles, suddenly going very quiet.

I'm not going to deny that we spend a lot of time together during school hours, because we do. She's like my little shadow. Plus, her parents don't exactly have the best track record of ensuring her well-being, so I get to be that person for her. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, except for if her parents decide to get it together which based on recent anecdotes, is not going to happen.

"Okay, let's go to my classroom and we can have a talk then," I reply with a small smile, but she stops me with a hand to my arm.

"Can we go to your office, instead?"

I'm a little taken aback at her question. We almost always go into my classroom to talk about things, and it's rare we go into my office unless it's something super important that's majorly bothering her.

When I've agreed and guided her into my office, we take a seat on the small couch in there to make it seem less intimidating.

Plus, I know she likes closeness and this way she'll be nearer to me.

"What's going on, Y/N?" I ask her gently, not wanting to pressure her if it's something of a hard subject.

She shuffles around in her place a few times, as if she's getting nervous. I instantly pick up on it and place my hand on her shoulder, rubbing it over with my thumb to help soothe her.

I really wish I could offer more to her, like a hug or something of the sort, but I'm not allowed to do that as a teacher. It really sucks considering her parents don't give her any physical contact, and that's something she craves so greatly.

It must be the worst thing knowing that you could be hugging your safe person (me) who is right in front of you, but you can't.

"Um, you know, it doesn't really matter anymore. I'm sorry I wasted your time," she quickly apologizes, yet doesn't move off the sofa. It tells me that she really does want to talk.

"Don't give me that. I know you. You're in a safe space right now, you know you can tell me anything."

"Yes, but-"

"Y/N."

She sighs. "My dad slammed my bedroom door this morning. On purpose because he was frustrated. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but to me, it was terrifying and just reminded me of all the times he would throw me outside as a kid and slam the door in my face. I didn't think I went through that much as a kid because it was never validated but apparently it still has this massive effect on me and it makes me want to do things to myself that I shouldn't."

My heart breaks little by little at what she's telling me. Y/N is such a precious child who has been through so much hardship in only her fifteen years of living. It isn't fair.

"Oh, sweetheart," I coo, having to stop myself so I can wipe away a tear. "It wasn't your fault, Y/N. Not at all. That's the first thing I have to say to you. It was not your fault. Please, if you're going to remember anything, let it be that. And second, I'm so sorry. You are so special and do not deserve to be treated that way, then or now. It sounds like you might have a lot of repressed trauma going on inside that head of yours."

She nods in return, her eyes pooling with tears.

There's nothing more I want in this moment than to scoop her up into my arms and keep her safe from everything.

"You're such a lovely girl, Y/N. I hope you know that. And if I could take you in, I would. I know you need someone safe to go to and I will so happily be that person for you. I'm not really supposed to do this but... do you want a hug?"

I don't even get an answer before she throws herself into my arms, making me wrap her up tightly and provide her with the comfort and safety she needs.

It isn't too long until I start hearing littke sniffles coming from where she is against my chest.

"It's alright, my love. Let it out. You can break," I reassure her, rubbing my hand up and down her back slowly.