night trouble ( part one )

warnings: self harm

age: 16

reader not nat's daughter

-

Y/N's POV

A lot of people think insomnia is simply taking a little longer to fall asleep. It's not.

Insomnia is not having a choice but to lay awake for hours until your body finally allows you to rest. Insomnia is experiencing broken sleep, you can't keep your eyes closed.

And in turn, your mental health goes down the drain.

Sometimes I get so frustrated at myself, that it causes me to hurt myself. Natasha knows about it, and she always helps me afterwards, but lately it's been happening more and more all because I can't get a decent night's sleep.

With it now being seven in the morning, I know most of the team will be up for training, me included.

I heard Steve mention something about how today's training was going to be sparring, and that he paired me up with Wanda. I just hope she goes easy on me, my thighs hurt far too much to be knocked onto the ground today.

"Y/N, you're late," Steve chastises me the moment I step into the training room. Everyone else is already here.

"Sorry, Cap," I mumble, tiredly plodding over to the bench that Nat is sitting on whilst Tony and Thor are in the sparring ring, Steve keeping a close eye on their moves.

"Morning, Y/N/N. You look-" Nat starts, but I cut her off.

"Awful, I know."

She pouts. "I was gonna say in need of a hug."

"Well, that too, I guess."

"Come here, honey," she tells me sweetly, opening up her arms for a side hug. It's not long before I'm practically drifting off in her arms.

Well, that's until my name is called.

Both Wanda and I stand up, me significantly slower, and make our way into the sparring ring.

I'm definitely going to get knocked out within the first five minutes.

-

My prediction was right. Wanda has beaten me every single round, and that's without her powers.

Before my sleeping struggles, I was one of the sharpest on the team, always on point. Now look at me...

"Y/N, you need to focus!" Steve yells, walking into the ring and getting right up in my face. "You know what, I think you should go up against me so I can make sure you're doing it correctly. Wanda, go sit back down."

Wanda does as told and leaves, taking her place back on the bench next to Natasha.

NATASHA's POV

He can't be serious right now. He's three times her size! Y/N doesn't stand a chance against him.

It's obvious she's sleepy and not focused, it isn't her fault.

"Steve, you're not seriously going to spar with a sixteen year old kid. That's not fair," I tell him, furrowing my brows at the fact he's genuinely about to do this.

"She needs to learn," he replies. I know there's nothing else I can do to change his mind, I just have to keep my eye on Y/N. She's like a daughter to me, I can't let anything happen to her.

"Fine," I groan in defeat. "Please go easy on her."

Completely ignoring what I just said, he gets into fighting position, telling Y/N to do the same.