let her go

age: 15

not a nat one shot - it's lizzie

-

Y/N's POV

Teacher attachment. It's very real. And exhausting. Yet exhilarating. It makes you feel a whole host of things actually, a minority of them being:

1. Resentment - resentment of your parents for not being able to give you right sort of treatment or care, thus the reason you get attached in the first place.

2. Security - it gives you a sense of safety knowing that there's that one person in school you can rely on.

3. Jealousy - the envy towards other people that are talking to that teacher is unreal. Like back off, she's mine. Not to sound possessive, but that's my mother figure.

We've had this new english teacher for a little while now. Her name's Miss Olsen.

I'm gonna be honest and say that she probably doesn't have a clue as to how attached I am. In fact, she probably barely notices me. She's only been here a few months and the most I've talked to her is for like two minutes about the work.

Things haven't been great recently for me, and I've craved for so long a person that I can go to talk to about it and until Miss Olsen, I haven't considered telling anyone else.

I'm also sat at the back of the class, which means she doesn't pay much attention to me. I used to have another favorite teacher, and I was very attached to her too. Her name was Miss Johansson but she always let me call her by her first name, Scarlett. Unfortunately she had to leave over the summer. I never got to say goodbye and I had to hear it from one of my friends that heard it from another teacher. It goes without saying that I was heartbroken.

When I was told, my heart immediately picked up in pace and all of a sudden my heartbeat was all I could hear. I tried my absolute hardest to not cry, but of course that failed and I spent the whole day sobbing. It's not very often that I cry - especially at school so clearly she meant a lot to me.

I spend most days thinking about Miss Johansson and how much I still need her. She knew about everything going on with me and all my struggles, and she just left me. I'm not mad at her, I never could be, but I just wish she didn't have to go. It was probably for the best that I didn't find out she was leaving before summer, otherwise the whole of the holidays would be ruined. But the things I would do for just one more hug. One more meaningful conversation with my comfort person. It's not fair.

"Y/N?" I'm snapped out of my daydream by Miss Olsen calling my name.

"Uh, y-yeah?"

"Did you hear my question?" she asks me with a cocked eyebrow.

"Um... no, sorry," I reply and sink further into my chair in embarrassment as I hear some of the other students sniggering.

"It's okay, don't worry about it," the teacher says and gives me a reassuring smile, which somehow manages to calm me down.

The rest of the lesson is a complete blur. The thoughts just haven't stopped. They won't leave. My head is just full of everything going on at the minute. Past scenarios, potential future ones, or imagining what life could've been if I had just made different choices. How much better my life could be if I didn't fuck it up constantly.

As soon as the bell goes for next lesson, I scramble to pick up my belongings and I was about to stand up until someone places a hand on my shoulder. I look up to see Miss Olsen looking down at me with her emerald green eyes. They're reassuring.

"Can you stay here for a moment, please?" she asks in a whisper so no one else could hear.

"O-okay," I say and relax back into my chair. Well, not really relaxed. My muscles are now tense and my shoulders stiff. Whenever a teacher asks you to stay behind, it usually means they're gonna complain about something you've said or done in the lesson. She's probably mad that I wasn't paying attention earlier.