57

Once the danger of a giant stalking the streets of their town had passed, many of the Storybrooke residents started to come out of their homes, buildings, and various hiding spots

Once the danger of a giant stalking the streets of their town had passed, many of the Storybrooke residents started to come out of their homes, buildings, and various hiding spots. And some of them rushed to the aid of their leaders once they realized what had happened.

"That better hold." David spoke to Leroy as he jumped out of his truck that he'd backed up as close to the hole as he could get it. The dwarf carrying a long rope, sent David a confident look as he started to attach it to the back.

"It'll hold." Leroy said firmly. Granny came to his side, taking hold of one end of the rope as she started to help with the task. Once it was attached to the truck's hitch, Leroy took the other end and threw it down into the hole. Slowly, people started to come forward, taking the rope into their hands as David got ready to repel down and help Anton.

However, before he could, he was pulled into a short kiss by his wife. "Most people would let that giant die after what he's done." She said, voice full of admiration as was the smile with which she looked at him.

"You wouldn't." David said confidently. He picked up the rope, taking good hold before nodding to the rest of the people holding on to it, signalling that he was ready. And soon after he announced it to the giant still hanging from a pipe below them. "All right, Anton! I'm coming down!"

As David sent one last look at the people holding on to the rope, making sure everything was secure, Odette sent him a firm nod. "We got you." She reassured. Knowing she was right, David started to repel down the hole, soon disappearing from view and allowing Odette to send Snow an unamused look. "You need to stop setting such a good example."

The short-haired woman had to laugh, especially as she knew Odette wasn't being serious. "Can't help it." She revealed. Odette shook her head, a small smile playing on her lips before she focused back on the rope in her hands.

A part of her wanted to lean forward and check on what was happening down there as time continued to pass. She could hear voices echoing up towards them, but as they were too muffled to understand, she was left simply holding on to the rope and hoping for the best. Up until the moment everyone felt a new weight added to it. Leroy was quick to call out instructions as the residents of the town all started to pull on the rope again.

It wasn't long before Anton's hands reached for the edge of the hole, holding on as he tried to pull himself up. Those at the front of the crowd, such as Mary Margaret and Odette, leaned down quickly, helping him climb up and doing the same with David once Anton was safely sitting back on solid ground.

With the group gathered around him, Odette let out a small breath of relief both at the fact that Anton wasn't quickly getting back to business and at the fact that everything had gone smoothly with the rescue. "You saved my life." The giant breathed out, obviously relieved as well, as he looked at David, some surprise still clear on his face.

"That's what we do." Snow announced with a small laugh, giving him a small pat on the shoulder as the giant thanked them all.

"We're not all the same, Anton." David reassured him. "I don't know what my brother did to you, but... that's not us." He let out a small sigh, a part of him wondering how many times more a situation like this may repeat itself. Just how many people his brother had hurt and caused pain to.