8

Odette's hands worked diligently on folding up some blankets and packing them away in the packs that surrounded her

Odette's hands worked diligently on folding up some blankets and packing them away in the packs that surrounded her. Everyone around the camp was moving at an increased pace, all eager to collect their belongings and leave the area before more of the queen's men came looking for them.

Her eyes often glanced back towards where Robin was helping Roland pack his things, then to where Little John was taking down some of the tents which they'd put up all those days ago. Neither of the men had yet mentioned what they'd heard in the forest, not to the rest of their party, nor had they spoken to Odette herself.

As she folded one of the blankets, she wondered what would happen next. Robin now knew she'd lied to them. And, while he didn't know the whole story, the information was enough to let him know it was a rather big lie. She wouldn't be surprised if he chose to send her away. Perhaps not for the lie, but for the persecution the Merry Men may face if it's discovered she's with them. George would come after them more than ever before. Odette wondered where she'd go next.

"We'll be heading out shortly. It's more dangerous to travel at night, but we have no choice." A voice suddenly speaking up beside her made Odette jump in surprise. Her mind was so stuck on remembering the maps she'd studied in her childhood, trying to plan out where she'd go next, that she hadn't even noticed the leader of the Merry Men approach her position further away from the rest of the crowd.

However, once she got past her surprise, Odette simply nodded her head in understanding. She wasn't sure why he was telling her that. Was it because he would continue on to tell her she couldn't come with them? Or because he wanted her to keep her eyes peeled on their surroundings? She debated, for a moment, wondering whether she should reassure him that they'd only have to go a couple of hours before the sun came out and she could scout their path ahead. But she held back.

Silence lapsed over the two, both obviously waiting, wanting the other to be the one to speak first. But as neither of them caved, soon enough it became unbearable. And so Odette finally let her voice sound. "I'm sorry I lied." She said, sounding genuine in her apology. "I understand if you wish to send me away. It would be safer for you and your men."

"Perhaps, before I make that decision, you could explain to me why exactly you felt compelled to do so? And who you are really?" Robin suggested, his face impartial and revealing nothing of what he thought or felt as he spoke. But he did move again, coming to sit down on one of the logs in front of her.

Odette nodded her head in acceptance of his questions, knowing it was the least she could do. And, he was right, if there was a decision to be made, if he was willing to consider it, he needed to have all the information. "My name's not Iris, it's Odette." She revealed honestly.

She had no reservations about doing so. If Robin had any intentions of giving her up, he would have already done so. He had his chance to. And if there were any sign of him considering the option once she came clean, Odette would use her first chance to get away. But in the time she's known him, she struggled to believe he'd do such a thing.